CPF Launches Commercial Sales Group for Architectural Projects

Guest vclimber

Guest vclimber
If this group secures leads through ESCO's, property managers, etc..., performs energy audits, pulls in at least 2 dealers to measure/bid lead, and the winning bid gets install how is this a bad thing? I thinks this announcement is a response to PJF's 3M-NGSC collaberation with an emphasis on "middleman".

Not a bad things at all for the industry if they sell the product correctly and make sure that the dealer get compensated fairly. I am not sure how this is new. They have had a national accounts program at CPFilms since I have been in this industry that was supposedly doing exactly what this says they are going to do. This may have been in response to our announcement, but it is hard to tell. I just hope they do not go back to bringing big box jobs to their dealers at $3.00 sq. ft. That was a nightmare! A dealer did not want to measure the job and eat the waste to get paid $3.00 to install solar control film. That kind of business is not good for anyone but the big box that is getting a smoking deal at the entire industry's expense. If they do it right and include the dealers, I say more power to them. It will increase the knowledge about window film in the industry and that would be good for everybody. It would be hypocritical of me to say the 3M / NGSG deal was good for the industry and then speak poorly about this program. It just needs to be a win for all parties involved.

They pay less than that in many cases and take the film sale. Being a MFG and having a price advantage over your customers is a much different business model than what you are doing Patrick. When a MFG crosses that line by taking the film sale and paying the window film dealer to be an installer, I see that as unethical. I know many who would say that my view is harsh and that handing a job to a dealer is cash in with no outlay and the dealer should be happy and thankful to have it, but that still doesn't change the fact that your supplier is doing business around you and not through you. Hopefully, this new arrangement has some major changes but I am skeptical.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They pay less than that in many cases and take the film sale. Being a MFG and having a price advantage over your customers is a much different business model than what you are doing Patrick. When a MFG crosses that line by taking the film sale and paying the window film dealer to be an installer, I see that as unethical. I know many who would say that my view is harsh and that handing a job to a dealer is cash in with no outlay and the dealer should be happy and thankful to have it, but that still doesn't change the fact that your supplier is doing business around you and not through you. Hopefully, this new arrangement has some major changes but I am skeptical.

I see your point. I am not sure how their system works currently, but if they are supplying the film and just having the dealer do install work at a reduced labor rate then I can see that upsetting people. For one, the distributor would be cut completely out of that transaction. maybe that is what they mean by the middleman. :headbang I can see the potential danger with this being that the manufacturer would bypass everyone and make the sale expecting that the dealers would all act as the installation force for the sale. That has been tried and from what I can gather has never been successful. It is much cleaner to be the sales agent and project manager as NGSG is and let the rest of the process flow as it normally does. I am not sure what others are paying their installers, but on basic solar control we are usually paying between $5.00 - $6.00 per sq. ft. Every job varies, but I want to make sure that doing the job makes sense for the dealer and they are happy to do the work. If not, the likelihood that the finished product will be outstanding, as my customers expect, would be slim to none. You have to take care of the people that take care of you. It really is that simple.

Guest Readyman

Well if there numbers are way down and they've fired the majority of their sales reps and many of their support people the news can't be that good.

I agree with Patrick in that this is nothing new, every major player out there has a "commercial sales group".

Now once it becomes time for quote/install, then we will see the true nature of this program.

Guest vclimber
I see your point. I am not sure how their system works currently, but if they are supplying the film and just having the dealer do install work at a reduced labor rate then I can see that upsetting people. For one, the distributor would be cut completely out of that transaction. maybe that is what they mean by the middleman. :spit I can see the potential danger with this being that the manufacturer would bypass everyone and make the sale expecting that the dealers would all act as the installation force for the sale. That has been tried and from what I can gather has never been successful. It is much cleaner to be the sales agent and project manager as NGSG is and let the rest of the process flow as it normally does. I am not sure what others are paying their installers, but on basic solar control we are usually paying between $5.00 - $6.00 per sq. ft. Every job varies, but I want to make sure that doing the job makes sense for the dealer and they are happy to do the work. If not, the likelihood that the finished product will be outstanding, as my customers expect, would be slim to none. You have to take care of the people that take care of you. It really is that simple.

My guess would be that the "middleman" was referring to distribution as well as yanking the retail sale from the dealer which adds up to big savings as well as funds the hiring of a national account sales group. :beer

Guest Fly Paper
I know I made the right decision when I was the first Vista dealer in the country to cancell them. 1st quarter sales down 45%........ MAY DAY..MAY DAY>>>>we're gonna crash and burn...*^(**(*^&%#$ ....but not before we burn our dealers first. Whatcha gonna sell next Georgie...MMM

How's the big storm going?

Damn, beat me to the punch!!! Yeah, LULU is gonna crash and burn........WRONG, Flypooper. Solutia is into other film ends that are brining in the funds, so , they will not be gone. AND, do tell us all about the big storm again!!!

Lawyers are funny guys...But not as funny as you dude. Who do you know at solutia? I know the lead council .....dude...go tint a car

Guest tintgod
Well if there numbers are way down and they've fired the majority of their sales reps and many of their support people the news can't be that good.

I agree with Patrick in that this is nothing new, every major player out there has a "commercial sales group".

Now once it becomes time for quote/install, then we will see the true nature of this program.

I believe they just hired 20 or so back not to long ago :lol2

I know I made the right decision when I was the first Vista dealer in the country to cancell them. 1st quarter sales down 45%........ MAY DAY..MAY DAY>>>>we're gonna crash and burn...*^(**(*^&%#$ ....but not before we burn our dealers first. Whatcha gonna sell next Georgie...MMM

Damn, beat me to the punch!!! Yeah, LULU is gonna crash and burn........WRONG, Flypooper. Solutia is into other film ends that are brining in the funds, so , they will not be gone. AND, do tell us all about the big storm again!!!

Lawyers are funny guys...But not as funny as you dude. Who do you know at solutia? I know the lead council .....dude...go tint a car

Ah, so you know the lead council......guess he tells you everything about their business...so you can use it in your 'big lawsuit'....I could continue this wonderful war of words(as many here know I can :lol2 ) but one truth becomes evident from your statements. You are a former Vista dealer with an ax to grind and will continue to post negatively here at every chance against LLumar. Such is life.

And for the record.............I refuse to do cars and have never tinted a car.

Guest vclimber

I wasn't joking, I wanted to get an update on how the battle is going... :lol

Archived