tip for the newbies

Guest GreenCove

Guest GreenCove

I learned to tint without pulling panels or bottom seals, and it has worked out for me for many years. About a year and a half ago Jeff stopped by when he worked for aegis and was pulling bottom seals on roll ups. So ever since he showed me that, I have been pulling the bottom seals on the ones that I feel comfortable pulling and pulling the occasional door panel to install felt. My point is I think if you are just starting out I would suggest learning to do roll ups without removing panels or bottom seals, even though it does make it alot easier there may be times where a customer may not want his panels pulled or you are pushed for time and dont have time to pull panels then you are gonna struggle with trying to do a good job without pulling anything. But if you know how to to a good job with leaving the bottom seals in place you will have no problem. I'm not saying don't pull them, I'm just saying learn to do it the other way first because it will spoil you and you will be wanting to pull every panel that comes in.

Good advice. When I started out 23 years ago, I was trained to pull panels and pulled almost all of them, but it is risky and time consuming. Now I can tint most without pulling but on certain cars you almost have to pull them especially if they need felt, so it's a good skill to have.

It takes some thin tools like the EZ Reach or the fake credit cards that come in the mail to slide it past most door seals. Youll never see me pulling panels on expensive cars. It saves plenty of time and money to be worth learning. Ive yet to break anything serious in five years... ( a clip or two here and there )

Ive learned alot about taking cars apart... and I still dont like it.

Guest thatsnappyguy

I used to pull every panel. it was the only way I could get it done clean. later on as time went by, I got used to not pulling the panels. saves alot of time. good to know both ways. knowledge is power.

Archived