Good bye little guy

At the end of the day it all comes down to $$$$$$. mmm spends way more than every other mfr to lobby and schmooze with the good ol boys. When this new arrangement is in full motion it will without doubt impact non mmm dealers. Its pretty simple, There is really good $ in flat glass, the big guys dont want to have to compete with the little guy who has low overhead,can you blame them? If you do get the chance to bid one of the projects that we are refering to,you will need to provide a equal if the gc allows it.That can be a sticky situation sometimes,esp if you havent done work for them before. If you have a history of quality work with your customers , you may very well get the ( hey can u quote mmm --- whatever film ) at that point some reply like "I woulde love to help anyway I can. How about I come down to see the scope of the project ) at that point your foot is in the door and u can use the other foot to kick the mmm salesman to the curb.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you make your custimers believe that 3m is a better product and choosing any thing else would be a bad Idea. Then you are attaching a negitive perspective to all other products and this doesnt grow the pie for every one it gives 3m a bigger fork. I know you would never intentionally try to hurt or go after anyones business but lets be honest, this would greatly benifit 3m and thats it. Yes, more industry awarness is grow the industry but with the big red stamp on it. and all that good citizen stuff about procceds has its motives. I think that sounds like a marketing stradigy. or just like a lot of advertizing campains you see. just a reason to bring up what your selling and attach a positive perspective to it. sounds like your just a good business man to me, not a savior to the industry.

we can all be friends, Its an honor to chat with you guys

Acetinter,

Great comments and I can see why you would perceive things in that way. As I said above, I just have to prove myself and my motives over time. No amount of talking at this point will change the cynical view most will have regarding this program. As far as my motives and me being a savior to the industry, I never claimed to be a savior. I am trying to be a good industry citizen and run a business. Even if you question my motives for doing certain things, I would be doing more than most others in my position. So, even if the motives are in question, it still benefits the industry. If a rich guy gives a donation to a charity to get a fat tax break, doesn't the charity still benefit from the donation? Not a direct correlation, but I just want to make the point that even if you question my motives, what I am doing is still beneficial.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I appreciate dialog ike this as it gives all of us a chance to better understand each other. :rollin

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Personally, I look forward to competing against 3M & NGSG. I can easily take down most of their products in a technical presentation (If anyone cares to start a thread...???) and my business model has a tweak and is backed by a network that will surprise even Patrick and company. So bring it! I look forward to the battle. :rollin

I wish you well vclimber. :duck As for competing, there is so much business out there that I hope we both do great and never run into each other. That is the great thing about the opportunity currently available and why I specifically target businesses that are not even involved with film at this time. Actually, if I know that you or someone else is working with a company, I would rather just go down the road to the next opportunity. Why fight over the same piece of fruit when it is laying all around us? I look forward to hearing, and hope that you do extremely well. The more positive exposure the world has what good film installations can do, the better for all of us.

Go crush it man! :wall

If you do get the chance to bid one of the projects that we are refering to,you will need to provide a equal if the gc allows it.That can be a sticky situation sometimes,esp if you havent done work for them before. If you have a history of quality work with your customers , you may very well get the ( hey can u quote mmm --- whatever film ) at that point some reply like "I woulde love to help anyway I can. How about I come down to see the scope of the project ) at that point your foot is in the door and u can use the other foot to kick the mmm salesman to the curb.

And that my friends is why I will only be using 3M dealers to complete the installations. It is nice to know that someone would allow us to work sometime 4-6 months to bring a job to the table and then try to backdoor us on a job that we brought to them. :rollin I am not an idiot and there are systems in place to ensure that this does not happen. Even if you could do this, why would you? You would screw me on one job and never see another. Sounds like bad business to me. :duck

Why would someone do that.....let me see. Yes it is likley someone has spent conciderable time and effort to get their product as the spec. However, If I as a business owner have client that needs a service and I can not service their needs what do you think they will do ? Yep, go somewhere else. Look, what you have pulled off is no doubt going to be great for you and select mmm dlrs. I know its a free country...sort of. Anyway my point is this, Business is business. What you say is bad bus on my part ,I call smart business. No way no how am I going to lay down and turn away any flat glass work because im not in the good ol boy club. If I can not change the spec to something equal and I cant aquire the spec than so be it, you win that one. In todays environment, everyone needs to work with what they got. If a shop owner turns away one single customer because they cant get this or that type of film, chances are they are never gonna get a call from that prospect again. The guy who serviced the acct last time will. Clearly you know and planned for this. My belief is that mmm and others have long wanted a arrangement like you have, They want to fish with a big net, keep all the big ones themselves and let the small ones that slip through to be taken care of by the pirranah.

There are 125 MILLION + single family homes in America. Thats not counting any condos, apartment buildings or commercial structures. What percentage of those structures do You think have film on them? Less than 1%? My point is, there is SO MUCH flat glass work to be had, why would You worry about someone elses collaboration? Be proactive. Don't wait for them to knock on Your door, go get them. Believe in Your marketing strategy, sell a quality product and installation and You'll be fine.

Theres enough business for everyone....many times over. :rollin

If sfh or condo work is your bread and butter thats great. If comm work is your b&b thats not so great, We focus on retail storefront etc, and in many cases have done dozens of stores for the same contractors, This is exactly the work mmm is targeting. The gc will provide repeat business over and over. The cond is for the most part a one shot deal. Yes you may get a referal or even 2 or 3 whatever. You still need to make the sales call / presentation. measure etc. This all needs to be factored in. With comm work there is no real sales call, most of the time they have the spec, they have the ok to spend $, and for the most part just need to get it done on time and on budget with no bs or problems. After that they are going to call you every time they need something regardless of the spec. If you let that guy get away forget it, your back to tinting headlights. Service the customer or someone else will.

Why would someone do that.....let me see. Yes it is likley someone has spent conciderable time and effort to get their product as the spec. However, If I as a business owner have client that needs a service and I can not service their needs what do you think they will do ? Yep, go somewhere else. Look, what you have pulled off is no doubt going to be great for you and select mmm dlrs. I know its a free country...sort of. Anyway my point is this, Business is business. What you say is bad bus on my part ,I call smart business. No way no how am I going to lay down and turn away any flat glass work because im not in the good ol boy club. If I can not change the spec to something equal and I cant aquire the spec than so be it, you win that one. In todays environment, everyone needs to work with what they got. If a shop owner turns away one single customer because they cant get this or that type of film, chances are they are never gonna get a call from that prospect again. The guy who serviced the acct last time will. Clearly you know and planned for this. My belief is that mmm and others have long wanted a arrangement like you have, They want to fish with a big net, keep all the big ones themselves and let the small ones that slip through to be taken care of by the pirranah.

I think that the confusion lies in the fact that in most of these contracts NGSG is acting as the GC for the film work. This is not just a spec given out to a GC. NGSG is calling the dealer and arranging the work. So, what I was saying is that if I cannot have 100% confidence that you will put the product on that I spec'd, you will not be getting the call. The work all flows through NGSG. The dealer gets paid by NGSG and NGSG is the single contact point for the corporations that we deal with. I am not sure how you could interfere with that unless you contracted with me to do specific work and then proceeded to do your own thing. Which, if I am paying you and handing out the jobs, would not be a smart thing to do.

there is SO MUCH flat glass work to be had, why would You worry about someone elses collaboration? Be proactive. Don't wait for them to knock on Your door, go get them. Believe in Your marketing strategy, sell a quality product and installation and You'll be fine.

Theres enough business for everyone....many times over. :rollin

Amen brother! That is what I am trying to tell everyone. We should all stop focusing on stealing work that currently exists and concentrate on all the work that is around us that is not being done. Most major retailers that I meet with still are unaware of what film is and what it can do for their facilities. The window film awareness in commercial and residential is next to nothing. I am not even concerned about the work that others may be doing. Why would I want to get in a competitive situation with someone else when I can just move on to the next customer?

If I was contracted by you to do project x with product x than we would without question inst the spec. If the only product you arg gonna spec is mmm than myself and hundreds more like me are out because we are not mmm dealers. Like I said before, When I get the call for film that is not our in house brand I need to work to change the spec or provide a equal. More often than not the phrase NO EQUAL appears on the plan, this too is good marketing but not impossible to overcome. Thats the only way non mmm comm dealers will be able to operate and keep clients that have been corraled in to the big net you will be setting. Dont misunderstand me, I am not mad about your alliance actually im quite envious, its going to make a select few tons of money. The rest will have to reinvent and move on where possible.

Archived