Good bye little guy

I screwed up the quotes again. How do you only reply+quote on some of the quote. After awhile, these quotes take up 3 times the space as the post. I am just trying to show the relevant part of the quote and am obviously messing something up. Can someone help this newbie out?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sunlimited

Don't know if there's an easier way, but I just quote, than erase whatever I don't want in there. Again Patric, I've been following the thread, seems like you've put a lot of effort into this, I don't quite see how this will affect the "little guy" too much. It works the same for us little guys. When we do business for a gc, 9 times out of ten, they are gonna call us back, not call around again. The shop I worked for up north did all the old navy, gap, and I forget the 3rd store they owned as well. Simply because we got the bid on the first. A shop I worked for here, did all the Wendy's, which turned into Friendly's, because it was the same contractor. As far a meeting specs, all the manny's really have comparable films, a shop should be able to bid with something comparable or better against any mmm product, and if not," you win some you lose some." There's plenty of work to go around, and many would be surprised how often some smaller storefronts, and local gigs will want to go with the smaller guy, as long as you're close.. :spit

Ok , we beat this to death , by the # of hits this post has had, it is clear that we struck a nerve. This new mmm arrangement is another marketing blitz by the film mfr with by far the deepest pockets. Most of the comm guys that have been around the block a few times will get through the learning curve quick enough. By this I refer to the techneques needed to combat the new and improved way mmm will be represented. If this pilot program is a success, all mfr will need to adopt a similar concept, I have sugsted for many years to many mfrs to do such but it has for the most part fallen on deaf ears. Once the now big mfrs see market share dwindle, They will be playing catch up ,trying to make up lost ground because of the huge lead spotted to mmm. Boys and girls, there are meetings going on every day somewhere someplace.CEO CFO COO S looking for ways to boost proffit. Its the world we live in. When it comes to money even the blind can see

I don't quite see how this will affect the "little guy" too much. It works the same for us little guys. When we do business for a gc, 9 times out of ten, they are gonna call us back, not call around again.

But what if that gc gets a call from someone who presents them with the opportunity to work with their company for all their locations... far and wide. One point of contact.. work gets done w/o any hassles?

Maybe I'm wrong in how it would work.. .but that's how I'm seeing the whole idea of it all.

-R

Yes , that is the general idea. One point of contact for lets say Starbucks for example. MMM is sold on mmmfilm x, It is now part of the scope for all new build outs. The plan states something to the effect of MMM Film x is the spec no equal. plan also includes ( window film GC name and # ) as point of contact. This window film GC is going to be guess who. So lets say WF GC is in Ohio, project is in AZ. GC aint goin out to measure etc, he is going to contact the mmm dealer he has the most desireable arrangement with and spoon feed him the job. It is not a bad arrangement if you are in the mmm network. Its not so fun if you are a shop that caters to that market and now the big $ player is getting serious about marketing. Look, I am not saying there is anything wrong with what has been put together with mmm and their new point man. Far from it, If successfull and I believe it will be. MMM is going to claim more and more market share over every other brand. Theese are not dumb people, there are strategy meetings behind closed doors that only the few on the inside are pervy to. Believe me if the big $ is seriouslly going to make a push and back it up with a full blown effort, Instead of 2 out of 3 customers saying hey I need that mmm film on my windows it gonna be more like 3 out of 3. If any other mfrs are following this post,wake up, some one is comming to eat your lunch too. Final thought Would a mfr rather service one $ 2 000 000.00 client or 100 - $20 000.00 .you be the judge

Guest Readyman
Patric I really like you and admire your hard work but couldn't you find someone other than the most corrupt company in the business to deal with?

Most corrupt? I agree that they have done some shifty things in the past, but so has every other manufacturer.

My vote for most corrupt would have to go to CP. Those guys have and will go around you, through you or to your competitor just to make a buck.

Guest Readyman
Final thought Would a mfr rather service one $ 2 000 000.00 client or 100 - $20 000.00 .you be the judge

I guess it would depend upon who pays on time.

As a dealer, I would rather compete against 1 guy than 100.

Final thought Would a mfr rather service one $ 2 000 000.00 client or 100 - $20 000.00 .you be the judge

I guess it would depend upon who pays on time.

As a dealer, I would rather compete against 1 guy than 100.

Good point. The margins will likely be better on the 100 jobs at $20,000 also. That is why I no longer even look at government work. You cannot make money when 10 people are bidding and one is always willing to give it away. :lol2

We did a 8 mill govt job a couple mos ago and did ok. There was like 2k sf and about 4 miles of 995. We were able to move quickly throu the film but I would rather stick things in my eyes than do 995 all day. And yep, there was no shortage of bidders

Guest vclimber
Patric I really like you and admire your hard work but couldn't you find someone other than the most corrupt company in the business to deal with?

Most corrupt? I agree that they have done some shifty things in the past, but so has every other manufacturer.

My vote for most corrupt would have to go to CP. Those guys have and will go around you, through you or to your competitor just to make a buck.

They're all the same if they are taking the film sales and turning you into the installer. I have seen 3M, CP, Madico, BSF, Aegis, SunTek, V-Kool and some smaller companies all go around their dealers and direct to the customer... they're all the same to me, no single one is more unethical than the rest -imo.

Now when it comes to misrepresenting product performance, that would be a different list with one company occupying the throne. :lol2

Archived