Land Rover curved small rear quarter

Guest walestint

Guest walestint

hola

any heads up on the curved small rear quarters (approx 16" x 11") on land rover (single cab 58 plate), can remove no prob, but as regards shirnk/apply its foxed me!

custy no rush to have it back so thuoght anyone one here may be able to give me some tips!

cheers in anticipation

rob

Guest Tintim

Hey Wales

They can be done but are a pain thankfully we've only ever done two. Try shrinking them as best you can, fit the film which will then pop up in an area or two - put it above a radiator to cook (dry out) 20 mins and then you'll get one go at sitting the film down - like dry laminating. Try to make sure your slip solution is not rich so that the glue on the film retains as much off its adhesive properties as possible - or use film on or similar solution.

Problem is they are so curved that when you get the film to sit down the glue is not strong enough to hold it to the glass. I leave a small 1cm or so gap all around the edge (which is hidden by the rubber). Then I use a clear laqcuer on the edge of the film where it meets the glass - that way when it goes back in the rubber and moisture creeps in it is that much harder to get under the film and cause it to peel up. WIth that curve the film is under a lot of tension.

Good luck - when you've got one of these you'll wish you had an ordinary defender :thumb

Guest shadowline
You don't hear me say this much but I would take them out..... easier faster cleaner for me :thumb

Stan - he is taking them out to do them, read the first post, and when there tinted, put them on a radiator, as per the second post, means they are out I think you will find mate?

Guest naughtydog

Are you talking about the safari lights like the discoveries or what?? Or is it the small ones at the back of the defender??

Or is it me being thicko!!

Guest shadowline
Are you talking about the safari lights like the discoveries or what?? Or is it the small ones at the back of the defender??

Or is it me being thicko!!

Naughty its the ones on the single "crew cab" type style, on the side corners of the cab at the rear, if I understand it right, dont see too many of them

Guest walestint

cheers for the replies

aye the film doseny like that curve, its done my nut

custy knows its a possibility I may not tint them in the end, he's alright with that, and to top it all off its a fishing vehicle with pots and buoys in the back - stinking my workshop out!

a fishy tale :thumb

Archived