4 mil armorcoat installed correctly?

Guest icrnk

Just had Armorcoat 4 mil SS-35 installed on my home for security, safety, glare reduction and energy efficiency. My question is if it was installed correctly for it's security advantage if it was done as Daylight Installation. Per Armorcoat's website:

A common method for installing solar and safety window film. Window film is precut slightly larger than the framed glass pane, then trimmed up to 1/8 inch of the glass edge (http://www.armorcoatfilms.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Products.Daylight_Install/Products-Daylight_Install.htm).

Since there is no overlap to the metal frame on the windows this seems to leave a chink in the armor (pun intended). Won't this just allow the window to hold together but still be pushed in either from break in or hurricane? It seems that 4 mil doesn't warrant mechanical attachment but should my film have at least received a wet glaze attachment method or do install ever include an overlap of the film to part of the window frame?

What is the most proper method of installing 4 mil security film in a residence?

Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What did your installer suggest ??

He suggested the Armorcoat 4 mil over Huper even though he was an authorized Huper dealer. He said they don't do 8 mil on residential homes because they have to put so much pressure on the glass during install they may break them. He didn't suggest anything on the different installs.

There are several different ways to answer your question. You need to give us more info. What did you ask for, why did you ask for it, what are you trying to achieve, what type of window structure do you have, are you willing to look at 995 sealant for the rest of your life, what kind of security were you looking for

There are several different ways to answer your question. You need to give us more info. What did you ask for, why did you ask for it, what are you trying to achieve, what type of window structure do you have, are you willing to look at 995 sealant for the rest of your life, what kind of security were you looking for

I stated I wanted to reduce heat and glare but also wanted a security film for security for my family. I stated I wanted both extra security against intrusion and hurricane winds. I emphasized that I had received 4 quotes from others that didn't listen to my wants and kept quoting me for 2 mil window film. Those other guys kept stating it would hold the window together if it broke. I told them I understood it added some protection against injury but I wanted film that was sold as being security film. I'm not too close to the coast so I was okay with 4 mil. I have single-hung windows with aluminum/metal frames. Sealant would not have bothered me. I just don't see how security film can be installed this way and still retain it's "security" advantage.

I stated I wanted to reduce heat and glare but also wanted a security film for security for my family. I stated I wanted both extra security against intrusion and hurricane winds. I emphasized that I had received 4 quotes from others that didn't listen to my wants and kept quoting me for 2 mil window film. Those other guys kept stating it would hold the window together if it broke. I told them I understood it added some protection against injury but I wanted film that was sold as being security film. I'm not too close to the coast so I was okay with 4 mil. I have single-hung windows with aluminum/metal frames. Sealant would not have bothered me. I just don't see how security film can be installed this way and still retain it's "security" advantage.

He should have offered the wet sealant and frankly his story about 8 ML is nonsense. The cost to wet seal is fairly inexpensive. Call this guy and have him caulk (if he knows how!)

Were there any discussions related to a wet glaze and price for that versus without?

Just trying to make sense why if you wanted it they didn't want to offer it, unless it was related to an issue with price etc...

No there were not any discussions related to wet glaze but he never said anything about install options either. He's the pro so I feel he should give me the different options. Price wasn't an issue. I just don't see how effective this will be for the security aspect as currently installed and I feel I would have done better to just get a regular tint, non-security film, with greater overall total solar energy rejected. Not only that but then it would quality for the energy tax credit.

Archived