4 mil armorcoat installed correctly?

Guest icrnk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sunlimited
you people need to read window film magazine cause there is nothing in the window tint industry they is hurricane they state even in florida you will get sued by the states attorny off for even selling film that you say is for hurricane .

its a felony cause everything in florida must pass the dade county code to be hurricane product. they say window film doesn't big artical in the window film magazine like 2 or 3 pages find it in one of this years issue between jan to july I can't remeber which one .

If you see Fred, I put protection in quotes, assuming the original installer/ estimator used hurricane protection as a selling point. How ever I don't believe it is against the law yet in FL. They are working on making anyone installing security film state certified, and trying to make the wording of "hurricane protection", illegal. You are right anything in FL that is advertised as hurricane protection has to pass Miami Dade code, and no film does, but there a plenty here in Florida that advertise hurricane protection, my old employer being one of the biggest. It is unethical, and eventually it will catch up to them, but for now thats what it is...

ICRNK, good luck at least getting an attachment going, definetly recommended for any kind of security purposes... :lol

There are several different ways to answer your question. You need to give us more info. What did you ask for, why did you ask for it, what are you trying to achieve, what type of window structure do you have, are you willing to look at 995 sealant for the rest of your life, what kind of security were you looking for

I stated I wanted to reduce heat and glare but also wanted a security film for security for my family. I stated I wanted both extra security against intrusion and hurricane winds. I emphasized that I had received 4 quotes from others that didn't listen to my wants and kept quoting me for 2 mil window film. Those other guys kept stating it would hold the window together if it broke. I told them I understood it added some protection against injury but I wanted film that was sold as being security film. I'm not too close to the coast so I was okay with 4 mil. I have single-hung windows with aluminum/metal frames. Sealant would not have bothered me. I just don't see how security film can be installed this way and still retain it's "security" advantage.

He should have offered the wet sealant and frankly his story about 8 ML is nonsense. The cost to wet seal is fairly inexpensive. Call this guy and have him caulk (if he knows how!)

Agreed

We have installed 8mil on six homes this year with absolutely no problems

Guest Sunlimited
I thought some films passed second story but not first floor for the Dade code... Again your talkin to a cali dude who reads that window film article on the crapper.

:lol:lol

No as far as I know, and I could be wrong, I've been out of a shop now for a month or so, but nothing has passed Dade code...

Guest pmuzik
I thought some films passed second story but not first floor for the Dade code... Again your talkin to a cali dude who reads that window film article on the crapper.

Some manny's do claim on their web site's that they have passed the test. However If you read the test results and pay particular attention to the test panel construction, method of attacthment, glass thickness etc. you will find that very few IF any (that I have seen) residential homes will meet the criteria used in the tests. AS far as wet glazing ( for resi applications anyway )? if you meet your particular manny's specs for material, size of bead' type of frame etc. there is not enough frame to apply the specified size bead and the window frames in most homes are wood or vinyl which were not tested so the test results don't apply anyway.

Boils down to an ethics thing for the dealer IMHO, use the test results as a selling point or INFORM the customer that yes " the films I carry have passed the tests but your windows and home's construction do not meet the test criteria"

Well, again we see another consumer who did no research for an important issue. Before having your film installed, you should have researched it. Online, here, through manufacturers website or by contacting them. Since you did none of this before hand, now you have what you have.

So, now here is some information after the fact. Your 4 mil purchase will HELP protect against breakin and storm winds. With it being regular annealed glass, upon an attempted breakin, the glass will crack in lines, not shatter as tempered would. this will allow the film(as ong as the adhesive is cured and attached properly) to hold the broken pieces togoether for a bit. However, once broken, the break lines will have sharp edges that can begin to work into the film, allowing for a tear. This would take some time, thereby possibly deterring a thief. Without the attachement (Dow 995) all edges would have to pull from the frame which would take an intruder a bit of work. The only way the glass could just easily 'fall in' was if it cracked around the edges at the frame. This is pretty much impossible. With the attachement, the FILM is held to the frame, thus, keeping it from fallong in. HOWEVER, a big caveat comes along here, if your windows are aesy cleaning tilt ins, there is not much at the edged of the casing to hold it in the frame, this creates the weak point in the issue since most manufacturers use plastic clips to attach the casing in the frame (top slide ins for easy tilt in). Anyhting you put on does help, but it is not a cure-all.

Now, as for the hurricane protection, I would tell any and all consumers this: If you film your windows with anything and are still fool enough to stand in front of them to 'see the storm', enjoy your funeral. Film attachemnt is there to help reduce intrusion during hurricane force winds. Yes, it will probably stop the first thing that comes at it, but, as with safety glass, once it is compromised, all bets are off. One the glass is broken (film and safety glazing), a weak point is created, allowing further pressure at that point to break through. Testing data is usually shown for ONE hit, not mutiple. Safety film and safety glass is there to protect from a higher pressure hit, thus allowing you to get away from the window before more hits and causes damage and injury. An attachement system is only as strong as the frame it attaches to. If youe windows are casement or double hung, they are NOT bolted to the framework of the house, but lightly mounted into the actual frame of the window. This is the weak point of the equation.Safety film is strongest when mounted on glass that is mounted into strong STEEL frames that are bolted into the framework of a building (usually concrete or brick). Most homes are wood frame construction with vinyl or wood frame windows. The windows are usually nailed to the surface of the house, with no screws or bolts running into the framework of the house. If you lookat most testing video, you see that when a 2x4 hits the window, it shatters, thereby compromising the structural intergrity of the whol application. Put in simple terms, great for the first hit, but then, all bets are off. I have yet to see any tests that show repeated hits.

This truth be known, you have to realize that your film installation is good for slowing down intrusion by crooks and, in the event of a hurricane, allowing you the opportunity to get away from the area safely. However, I would caution you to not get too brave. 4 mil will not save you if you are fool enough to stand there as a storm whips debris around.

This is my opinion on this, lets see what others have to say. twocents.gif

Guest Sunlimited
Any security film for "security" purpose should have an attachment system. If someone were to break the window without the attachment, yes you can easily pry right through the film.

That's not correct! Attachment systems is a MUST for tempered glass, not for normal glass though. It does add some strength along the edge, but you CANNOT “easily pry right through the film” without it.

A shattered window without an attachment system can easily be pried from any side of the frame. Once the glass is broken there is an immediate weak spot(s). Stick any kind of tool in the frame and you can manipulate the broken glass to go up, down, left, right, creating much easier access to pull or push the rest of the glass in/ out...

Archived