4 mil armorcoat installed correctly?

Guest icrnk

Well, again we see another consumer who did no research for an important issue. Before having your film installed, you should have researched it. Online, here, through manufacturers website or by contacting them. Since you did none of this before hand, now you have what you have.

This is correct to a certain degree. Should not the tint professional and installer educate the consumer on all aspects of the product they are selling as well as the options in install. If the consumer must do the research, why hire someone to it. I hired someone because I wanted the tint installed correctly. I know there is a technique as well as knowledge to tints and install. I researched the different films brands and reviewed some of the specs in glare reduction, energy rejection and so fourth. I decided on the a security film even though others had better specs on the basis that I was gaining some security with this film. I think it's sad if consumers are expected to also research the install methods and have to tell the professional how the film should be installed to take greater advantage of one of that film's selling points.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sunlimited

Bottom line is everything should have been explained to you. It IS our job to educate the consumer, according to their wants. It sounds you were taken for one, all you can do now is call and ask for an attachment..Good Luck man, I'm sorry you weren't informed properly, and don't have a sour taste, there are plenty of great installers, that would've gone out of their way to help out the end consumer, you may have not gotten one of them :spit

Well, again we see another consumer who did no research for an important issue. Before having your film installed, you should have researched it. Online, here, through manufacturers website or by contacting them. Since you did none of this before hand, now you have what you have.

This is correct to a certain degree. Should not the tint professional and installer educate the consumer on all aspects of the product they are selling as well as the options in install. If the consumer must do the research, why hire someone to it. I hired someone because I wanted the tint installed correctly. I know there is a technique as well as knowledge to tints and install. I researched the different films brands and reviewed some of the specs in glare reduction, energy rejection and so fourth. I decided on the a security film even though others had better specs on the basis that I was gaining some security with this film. I think it's sad if consumers are expected to also research the install methods and have to tell the professional how the film should be installed to take greater advantage of one of that film's selling points.

You do have more protection now than you did before the 4 mill was applied. As I said before there are many variables that pertain to your situation. The good news is that the 995 can be installed at anytime, the extra security that you gain from it is tough to estimate without all the pertnant info. IE glass type, frame type ammt of 995 inst etc. My view of this is that you were given a very fair price for the film and if it makes you feel better to have the attachment on there than do it. If the dealer did not offer it to you maybee there was a reason for it, we only have one side of the story

I had typed up a long response to your statement. I will just responsd as follows.

You had decided on what film you wanted, chose the installer by price point(lowball), even though they steered you to another product and had the film installed. You get what you pay for in this world and so you did. No one is telling you that you should have researched installation methods, however, there is plenty of free info on the net about Sec. films AND attachment systems. Not researching the product completely and relying on a salesman, and a lowballer at that, for this info is the real story here.

In our society today, I see too many who state that ' the salesman never told me this' or 'It's someone elses fault'. Learn from this one and move on. If you are not in a high crime area or right near the hurricane area, what you have is sufficient. Put in an alarm if you are that nervouse of intruders. If you chose to apply the Dow, remember, it is only as strong as the frame it attaches to. If there is little to attach to or not really strong framework, it is a wast of money since it will not hold up. Also athsetically, it is a rather large bead of caulk all the way around the window (up to 1 inch in each direction) that many would find not very attractive

Good luck. :spit

'

I think you imagine that without an attachment, the 4 mil window film and glass will just fall out of the frame very easily but that isn't the case. The glass is annealed so the shards will hold the glass and film together. It will take a decent amount of damage for the window to just fall out. In real life situations most thieves would just walk away from that after a minute or two because of the obvious scene it would be making.

I had typed up a long response to your statement. I will just responsd as follows.

You had decided on what film you wanted, chose the installer by price point(lowball), even though they steered you to another product and had the film installed. You get what you pay for in this world and so you did. No one is telling you that you should have researched installation methods, however, there is plenty of free info on the net about Sec. films AND attachment systems. Not researching the product completely and relying on a salesman, and a lowballer at that, for this info is the real story here.

In our society today, I see too many who state that ' the salesman never told me this' or 'It's someone elses fault'. Learn from this one and move on. If you are not in a high crime area or right near the hurricane area, what you have is sufficient. Put in an alarm if you are that nervouse of intruders. If you chose to apply the Dow, remember, it is only as strong as the frame it attaches to. If there is little to attach to or not really strong framework, it is a wast of money since it will not hold up. Also athsetically, it is a rather large bead of caulk all the way around the window (up to 1 inch in each direction) that many would find not very attractive

'

I sounds like I did get a good price so no complaint there. Price was not main reason for choosing the installer. He was the only guy other than the 3M dealer that offerred a security film; what I asked for via email and phone. I never tried to get him to give me a low price as I was fine paying a fair price for a professional install. I only knew of a price range based on my other quotes and the one I received seem to fall inline with the others. I'm not in a high crime area but mearly being proactive and making my home less desireable to a burglar. I understand it's better to have several defenses. My main complaint here is that I was specific in what I was wanting and don't feel like I got the most out of my purchase. The installer seemed like a nice individual and said he has been in the business 25 years. I may just leave it as is but will let them know I'm not 100% satisfied.

Also, I again want to say thanks for all the info and I know I have some additional protection now. Also, I know there are quality installers out there and I don't think they're all bad. I actually had someone I wanted to recommend as their interested in this. Anyone know any honest/excellent installers in the Houston, TX area?

Guest scottydosnntkno

'

I sounds like I did get a good price so no complaint there. Price was not main reason for choosing the installer. He was the only guy other than the 3M dealer that offerred a security film; what I asked for via email and phone. I never tried to get him to give me a low price as I was fine paying a fair price for a professional install. I only knew of a price range based on my other quotes and the one I received seem to fall inline with the others. I'm not in a high crime area but mearly being proactive and making my home less desireable to a burglar. I understand it's better to have several defenses. My main complaint here is that I was specific in what I was wanting and don't feel like I got the most out of my purchase. The installer seemed like a nice individual and said he has been in the business 25 years. I may just leave it as is but will let them know I'm not 100% satisfied.

Also, I again want to say thanks for all the info and I know I have some additional protection now. Also, I know there are quality installers out there and I don't think they're all bad. I actually had someone I wanted to recommend as their interested in this. Anyone know any honest/excellent installers in the Houston, TX area?

you got a good price as in a cheap price. as has been stated several times in this thread, for a nice film, that price is way low. For a similar 4mil film, I would charge over 2.5 times what you paid for the same footage.

this industry truly is a get what you pay for industry, and for just 4 mil hung you did get a "good price" if you want to look at cheap as being good

Archived