4 mil armorcoat installed correctly?

Guest icrnk

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hooligantintboy
you people need to read window film magazine cause there is nothing in the window tint industry they is hurricane they state even in florida you will get sued by the states attorny off for even selling film that you say is for hurricane .

its a felony cause everything in florida must pass the dade county code to be hurricane product. they say window film doesn't big artical in the window film magazine like 2 or 3 pages find it in one of this years issue between jan to july I can't remeber which one .

I just applied prestige 70 ultra to the state attorneys house in orlando. and they wanted it for hurricane protection. no attachment system was applied cuz they have wood frames. I get the question all the time, "how come theres a gap and will the window just push out in one piece"..... the security film is just a deterrant! no you cant stand in front of the window while a cat 5 blows thru!!!!!!!!!! nor is it bullet proof. in order for 995 to be applied you need to first have a window frame that is deep enough and metal to hold a 3/8in bead on glass and a 3/8in bead on frame. most residential windows have a plastic trim on aluminum frame type window, with take apart plastic frame grid french doors(yes they still count as french pains!!!!)... so that leaves the sliders, and new construction is using the flat framed doors which leaves you running a whopping 1/4in bead...... so with all that what are we supposed to do about windows that dont have the frame to support wet glaze requirements?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :beer:beer

I thought some films passed second story but not first floor for the Dade code... Again your talkin to a cali dude who reads that window film article on the crapper.

:lol:lol

No as far as I know, and I could be wrong, I've been out of a shop now for a month or so, but nothing has passed Dade code...

No Film will has passed the 9lb large missile test. 7/16 impact glass with a .090 inner PVB layer doers not pass that test, there is no way a .008 mill film on 3/16 or 1/4 glass ever will. However 8 mil window film does pass the small 2x4 and the sack of steel balls test for elevations above 30 feet. The issues with the state of FL are with the frame and how it is installed. If an engineer could verify the integrity of the frame members and that the proper length and size screws were holding it all to the walls then all is good.

Film can be sold as Hurricane "resistant" especially as a back up to a shutter or screen material. Safety films should be considered in areas not in the high wind zones. I wish the state of Florida would reconsider or come up with an approval process for those areas. :spit

To the original question - your glass/film should be attached to the frame. You and your installer may want to consider BondKap for the wetglaze attachment. (shameless plug)

I know the horse is already dead and beat down, but that 4mil vs 8 mil in a residential application that guy was telling you is complete horse sheet.. that dude never hung 8 mil, and you were the sucker who believed him. But your a customer, he's the professional. Its hard to find "good" installers of 8 mil. Hell, I bet half of the so called installers on this board never have even hung 8 mil, much less ANY attachment! Im not trying to blow my own horn, but, this guy in your town probably never even bought anything thicker than 4 mil.. We used to see that ALL THE TIME in florida... what a gibrony.... I believe DC wants 3/16 or is it 3/8 bead at the minimum, so any DH window in your home that may have the thin alluminum frame it wont work for... If you have any recessed frames, or slider doors, I would recomend the 995. I didnt really read all the post, but if your looking for safety, you should be ok.. keep that bozo that installed the film away from the DOW and out of your home.. have a great day! :lol

Archived