Black Car HORRIFIC swirl marks

Guest awfilips

Guest awfilips
Once the swirl marks are in there, it's dang near impossible to get them out. Where are You from?

I am from Little Falls, NY. The old posts on here were so promising about swirl marks on a black car. They seem like you can remove them. What's the deal? Wet sanding maybe? I can't paint it white it'd look weird if I left all the trim black on the inside doors and what not and have a black outside.

Don't repaint... Just have it or you do it right..

Black is great if it taken great care of.. also if you have to rebuff once every year you may want to look at what you are doing...

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the body shop guy that did the work for me in March. He did the 3M process. I don't wax, buff, or touch anything to do with cleaning my car other than the typical wash I give it once every few weeks. I think we just didn't go far enough last time in march and the guy that worked on my car last didn't go through all the necessary steps and cut his work short that day. It happens! Thanks for all your help everyone!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once the swirl marks are in there, it's dang near impossible to get them out. Where are You from?

I am from Little Falls, NY. The old posts on here were so promising about swirl marks on a black car. They seem like you can remove them. What's the deal? Wet sanding maybe? I can't paint it white it'd look weird if I left all the trim black on the inside doors and what not and have a black outside.

Don't repaint... Just have it or you do it right..

Black is great if it taken great care of.. also if you have to rebuff once every year you may want to look at what you are doing...

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to the body shop guy that did the work for me in March. He did the 3M process. I don't wax, buff, or touch anything to do with cleaning my car other than the typical wash I give it once every few weeks. I think we just didn't go far enough last time in march and the guy that worked on my car last didn't go through all the necessary steps and cut his work short that day. It happens! Thanks for all your help everyone!

DO NOT GO THROUGH CAR WASHES!!! THAT IS WHERE YOU ARE GOING WRONG!!!!

Fastest way to ruin a good wax job and paint.. === car wash... Always hand wash with a mitt..

Guest awfilips
What about the no touch car wash ? :hmmm

:thumb Same!

Absolutely the truth about the car washes. I realized that after I was being super god damn lazy for a while. It was a poor decision to just make a quick cleaning job. I've completely avoided them since. Appreciate the advice.

No touch car washes re use the water and It's EXTREMELY dirty I've found out. Definitely your are right..AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE

Guest Roger555

Do some research get yourself a portercable and go to town! I used Meguires M105 & M205, also had good success with poorboys products. Almost every scratch can be removed!! Then never go to an automated car wash again

you have to use a polish, something that is made for dark color cars. First use wax cleaner to clean the paint of the car first. Then buff the car with polish a section at a time. Do not use anything that is gritty like compound since it is a 2008 and black, there is no need for that. Take your time with it. Then seal it up with wax. Your car should be fine after that. Black cars are the hardest to do but need to be taking slow not rushed.

Everyone has some good advise. I have worked in a body shop now for 13yrs and I can give you insight. Ou have base clear to start. If by chance there is enough clear coat left you can fix black. Need some Trizat 3000 on a DA wet lightly go over the car because the OE finish is like buffing a rock. Then follow up with the 3m system, it works the best. Then get a really good carnuba wax I always liked Zymol. Black is nice but is hard to keep the finish you are after! Unless you hand was and use a mist wax everytime your not going to keep the luster ofthe clear. As you go through car washes it takes more and more on the polish off each time.

I think that you will never be happy with black unless you keep it in the garage and never drive it!

Just my two cents. It takes time and effort to detail cars and the pay is never enough!!!!

Yeah, if you don't hand wash and wax your black car, good effin' luck with keeping it look nice. Have to keep a nice thick coat of carnuba on there and it will look awesome. I know this is 2 years old almost but take it from someone who has owned no less than 8 black cars, even garaged they need a fresh wax every month with a good carnuba.

Hey Guys I am brand new to this forum because I've researched a lot online with my paint issue and time and time again this site comes up with some advice but I am unsure to the results.

I've got a black car that was detailed a year and half ago and they did a horrific job. They original buffed the car and left it so damaged that the paint looked flat black there was no shine or luster left in it. I've spent about a thousand dollars with different detailers and body shops trying to "hide" the swirl marks that I've got on the car. The part that makes me mad is that I don't see the swirls marks all the time it is only in direct sunlight or in direct headlights that you can see the marks on the paint. Is it true that you can't honestly fix these swirls but rather you can only hide them for the time being and you need to constantly keep re-waxing and having the car buffed and worked on? I can't keep sending 150 to 200 bucks every 4 to 6 months on this issue. I am getting close to having the entire car repainted strictly because the ENTIRE car has swirl marks and its a 2008!

What's my best options on this issue and how should I attempt to go about this whole issue? It is absolutely driving me INSANE right now!

Everyone's advice that they leave has someone about two comments later that says their original thoughts aren't effective and don't truly work at all. So I am lost what truly does work?! PLEASE HELP I AM GOING INSANE! IT'S BEEN ALMOST 2 YEARS and I am OCD literally!

First of you took your car to a hack!!!!! If you take your car to someone that knows what there doing you can have it looking like new again. You dont necessarily need to wetsand thats the last thing you should do, especially being oem paint its thin to start with and if you get someone to wetsand it they better know how to sand and polish it back out to swirl free finish. i completely disagree with black costs more, completely wrong, if they know what there doing it wont cost more, the reason hacks get away with it on other colours it you cant see all the defects like you can on black paint. I see everybody rages about 3m system i personally dont like the 3m system aprt from ultrafina. You cant use one system for every car, any good detailer will have several options to get the best results. To get your problem fixed your gonna have to pay big money your looking at least $600+ and if someone says they can do it for couple hundred bucks run, run away

check my work out so you know im not just talking s**t

http://www.fullthrottleforums.com/showthread.php?t=46602

Archived