Residential anti-intrusion film recommendation request

Guest mistigi

Guest mistigi

Hello,

I am looking to put a security film on my patio door glass to protect against intrusion. From what I have been reading on these forums on similar topics it seems that I should be looking at 8MIL security film.

There are two glass panes 31" by 73" each. Its a sliding door. The frame seems to be metal.

I would appreciate if you took your time to answer my questions.

1) What specific brand/type would you recommend ?

2)What is 3M's 28-ply Ultra Safety and Security Clear Window Film ( Boost home security on CR ) I cannot find it on 3M's website as it is probably under a different name. Is it worth looking at for what I want to accomplish?

Secure glass areas. Security or safety window film can resist blows of up 400 foot-pounds, according to manufacturer claims. 3M's 28-ply Ultra Safety and Security Clear Window Film costs $7 to $9 per square foot or about $105 to $135 for a 3x5-foot window. It should be installed by a pro, which will add to the cost.

3)How is the visibility going to be affected by putting the film on? Is it be going to be noticeable.

4)What kind of look can I expect after the installation. Is it going to be obvious at first glance that a security film has been installed on my doors ? Can I expect completely smooth surface without any air bubbles inside ?

5) I am in the northeast. The temperatures are now in the 40s and 50s. Its probably going to be even colder before I make a final decision about the installer. Am I better off waiting till the summer to get a better chance its going to be properly installed without any air bubbles ?

6)What do you refer here as to "daylight only installation" ?

7) What is the meaning of 4Mil/4Mil/4Mil on this page (http://www.newyorkwindowtinting.net/security.html). Is it a 3-ply film ?

Do columns "Visible Light Transmission" and "Break Strength" seem to be right in relation between products ?

Thanks again for your help!

Welcome to the board. I'll take a stab at your questions. I've been in the window industry since '96 and have seen a lot of safety film installations in Latin America for protection against "Smash & Grab". Here are a couple of points to consider:

-Safety film will not stop someone from coming through, it will slow them down & buy you time.

-Safety film should be used in conjunction with other safety devices (alarm system & vicious dog)

-8 Mil is the thinnest safety film that you should consider...probably move up to 15 mil or two layers of 8 mil. Each extra layer will slow down an intruder that wants to get through.

-You must install an attachment system (either "mechanical" or silicone (Dow Corning 995, for example))

-Multi layer safety films are better (4mil+4mil+4mil) is better than 8mil+4mil (3 layers is better than two). Thicker film is better (14/15 mil will give more resistance than just 8 mil)

-You will need dry out time. I recomend to get it installed before winter. The installer should use a heavy duty squeegee to get as much water out as possible, then squeegee again.

I'll try to answer some other items below your questions:

Hello,

I am looking to put a security film on my patio door glass to protect against intrusion. From what I have been reading on these forums on similar topics it seems that I should be looking at 8MIL security film.

There are two glass panes 31" by 73" each. Its a sliding door. The frame seems to be metal.

I would appreciate if you took your time to answer my questions.

1) What specific brand/type would you recommend ?

-Most multi layer films are comparable. Make sure you get a 10 year factory warranty.

2)What is 3M's 28-ply Ultra Safety and Security Clear Window Film ( Boost home security on CR ) I cannot find it on 3M's website as it is probably under a different name. Is it worth looking at for what I want to accomplish?

Not up to date with 3M's 28ply. How thick is this? 3M's multi layer safety film is strong. You can usually match that strength by buying a thicker ply from another company. I would have to analyze the data to compare. I'm sure somebody will correct this part.

Ask for a sample card to verify "clarity." Some of the older versions (10 years ago) were a bit hazy; but I think most mfg.'s cleared that up. Compare the clarity of company x vs company y. From 10 feet away you should not be able to tell there is any film on the window. Some "specs." of dust would be expected after installation.

Secure glass areas. Security or safety window film can resist blows of up 400 foot-pounds, according to manufacturer claims. 3M's 28-ply Ultra Safety and Security Clear Window Film costs $7 to $9 per square foot or about $105 to $135 for a 3x5-foot window. It should be installed by a pro, which will add to the cost.

Safety will cost a bit for installation because it takes excellent experience to do a good job, forearm strength & good safety film installation tools. Let the "professional installer" bid the safety film with installation.

3)How is the visibility going to be affected by putting the film on? Is it be going to be noticeable.

From 10 feet away, it should not be noticeable. I've seen (6) layers of safety film applied and asked "which window."

4)What kind of look can I expect after the installation. Is it going to be obvious at first glance that a security film has been installed on my doors ? Can I expect completely smooth surface without any air bubbles inside ?

Dry out time for safety film is much longer than other films, especially depending on how cold it is and if there is exposure to the sun. It will get cloudy before it dries out. Do not worry. Again, get it installed in oct (not jan-march).

5) I am in the northeast. The temperatures are now in the 40s and 50s. Its probably going to be even colder before I make a final decision about the installer. Am I better off waiting till the summer to get a better chance its going to be properly installed without any air bubbles ?

6)What do you refer here as to "daylight only installation" ?

"Daylight" installation means "no attachment system". You need to get an attachment system. What type of glass is your door? Tempered?

7) What is the meaning of 4Mil/4Mil/4Mil on this page (http://www.newyorkwindowtinting.net/security.html). Is it a 3-ply film ?

Yes, 3ply film. 3 ply should be stronger than 2ply

Do columns "Visible Light Transmission" and "Break Strength" seem to be right in relation between products ?

No. Visible Light Transmission means how much light is blocked via "sputtered metal" or "dye". For clear safety film VLT should be approx 88-92. Of course if you want a solar safety film, that would be recommended to keep the heat out too. However, dry out time is even that much longer with a "sputtered" metalized safety film (solar safety).

Thanks again for your help!

Good Luck

Guest mistigi
Welcome to the board. I'll take a stab at your questions. I've been in the window industry since '96 and have seen a lot of safety film installations in Latin America for protection against "Smash & Grab". Here are a couple of points to consider:

Thanks a lot GWF Texas, your response is very helpful, gave me a lot to think about.

Guest mistigi
I am curios as to why you are just concerned about an intrusion just through the sliding doors why are you not concerned with the other windows in your home? :dunno

I am concerned about my windows too and will be putting film on some of them too. It is just that the patio doors are the easiest one to smash as they are very accessible compared to my windows and have largest glass surface.

I live in a very densly populated metro area where properties are very small and close to each other so potential intruder would probably want to limit his exposure during a break in. I completely understand that security film will not stop someone commited and prepared to gain entry. On the other hand it seems to be prudent to protect against "smash and grab" opportunistic type of entry.

Hello, I am looking to put a security film on my patio door glass to protect against intrusion. From what I have been reading on these forums on similar topics it seems that I should be looking at 8MIL security film. There are two glass panes 31" by 73" each. Its a sliding door. The frame seems to be metal. I would appreciate if you took your time to answer my questions. 1) What specific brand/type would you recommend ?2)What is 3M's 28-ply Ultra Safety and Security Clear Window Film ( Boost home security on CR ) I cannot find it on 3M's website as it is probably under a different name. Is it worth looking at for what I want to accomplish?

3)How is the visibility going to be affected by putting the film on? Is it be going to be noticeable.4)What kind of look can I expect after the installation. Is it going to be obvious at first glance that a security film has been installed on my doors ? Can I expect completely smooth surface without any air bubbles inside ?5) I am in the northeast. The temperatures are now in the 40s and 50s. Its probably going to be even colder before I make a final decision about the installer. Am I better off waiting till the summer to get a better chance its going to be properly installed without any air bubbles ?6)What do you refer here as to "daylight only installation" ?7) What is the meaning of 4Mil/4Mil/4Mil on this page (http://www.newyorkwindowtinting.net/security.html). Is it a 3-ply film ?Do columns "Visible Light Transmission" and "Break Strength" seem to be right in relation between products ?Thanks again for your help!

A couple things you should know. First, your sliders are tempered glass and in the event someone tries to break in, the glass will shatter into thousands of pieces and fall to the floor allowing easy access to the intruders. If you just put security film on them and that's it, the same intruder will shatter the glass and it will fall to the floor in one neat piece. To increase security, the film needs to be bonded with the frame in some way. There are numerous attachment systems to choose from, and the amount of added safety depends on how well the chosen one is installed. IMO, 8mill is more than adequate for any residential application. A 4/4/4 is simply 3 layers of 4 mill laminated together to provide a 12 mill product. This type of film is better suited to commercial projects. The thicker and more laminated layers add to optical clarity issues. The worst being the Ultra series from 3M, their clarity problems are well documented. security film and attachment is not something you should trust to just any window tint company. The integrity of the product relies heavily on the installers skill level and knowledge of the material specifications.

Hello, I am looking to put a security film on my patio door glass to protect against intrusion. From what I have been reading on these forums on similar topics it seems that I should be looking at 8MIL security film. There are two glass panes 31" by 73" each. Its a sliding door. The frame seems to be metal. I would appreciate if you took your time to answer my questions. 1) What specific brand/type would you recommend ?2)What is 3M's 28-ply Ultra Safety and Security Clear Window Film ( Boost home security on CR ) I cannot find it on 3M's website as it is probably under a different name. Is it worth looking at for what I want to accomplish?

3)How is the visibility going to be affected by putting the film on? Is it be going to be noticeable.4)What kind of look can I expect after the installation. Is it going to be obvious at first glance that a security film has been installed on my doors ? Can I expect completely smooth surface without any air bubbles inside ?5) I am in the northeast. The temperatures are now in the 40s and 50s. Its probably going to be even colder before I make a final decision about the installer. Am I better off waiting till the summer to get a better chance its going to be properly installed without any air bubbles ?6)What do you refer here as to "daylight only installation" ?7) What is the meaning of 4Mil/4Mil/4Mil on this page (http://www.newyorkwindowtinting.net/security.html). Is it a 3-ply film ?Do columns "Visible Light Transmission" and "Break Strength" seem to be right in relation between products ?Thanks again for your help!

A couple things you should know. First, your sliders are tempered glass and in the event someone tries to break in, the glass will shatter into thousands of pieces and fall to the floor allowing easy access to the intruders. If you just put security film on them and that's it, the same intruder will shatter the glass and it will fall to the floor in one neat piece. To increase security, the film needs to be bonded with the frame in some way. There are numerous attachment systems to choose from, and the amount of added safety depends on how well the chosen one is installed. IMO, 8mill is more than adequate for any residential application. A 4/4/4 is simply 3 layers of 4 mill laminated together to provide a 12 mill product. This type of film is better suited to commercial projects. The thicker and more laminated layers add to optical clarity issues. The worst being the Ultra series from 3M, their clarity problems are well documented. security film and attachment is not something you should trust to just any window tint company. The integrity of the product relies heavily on the installers skill level and knowledge of the material specifications.

:chin ..... 3M still manufactures Ultra micro- layered technology series films for commercial and residential  ............... ? 

Did 3M not conduct the first comprehensive high explosive open air blast testing..........?

Smoke and mirrors Bubba...smoke and mirrors.

:chin ..... 3M still manufactures Ultra micro- layered technology series films for commercial and residential  ............... ? 

Did 3M not conduct the first comprehensive high explosive open air blast testing..........?

Thats all you got...................... :lol2

Knowledge is the key my friend............... :thumb   

Honesty is the key my friend. Knowledge can be with held.

Honesty is the key my friend. Knowledge can be with held.

I am just trying to help you, I would rather not see you talking about things you do Not know.......... :thumb

Archived