tinting a curved surface?

Guest tudorandrew

Guest tudorandrew

hey guys

I’ve got a bit of a art project going and I’m wondering if its possible to somehow tint a very curved surface. Ive made a helmet with a clear semi spherical plexiglass visor pretty much exactly the same as this one here:

4033574449_31c8fb1ea7.jpg

Is it possible to tint such a curved surface somehow?

Ive tinted a visor which only bent along one axis without any problems before, but this one obviously curves on both axises making a spherical shape, keep in mind im a complete newbie when it comes to tinting.

any advise would be great

Reminds me of the questions you sometimes get - can you tint these eye glasses?, or, I have an old, plexiglass boat windshield, can you tint it?

The short answer is - no. Way to much trouble for multiple reasons. Although you may get different ideas. Dyeing with diluted dye in a tub would be an easy way to attempt your project. :passout

Guest djtekk707

You can also try tail light tint film. Stretches easy around curves with some heat but ur gonna have to apply it from the outside.

Get yourself a couple feet from ebay, plus you can choose a different color if you want.

Good Luck! :beer

Guest thatsnappyguy
You can also try tail light tint film. Stretches easy around curves with some heat but ur gonna have to apply it from the outside.

Get yourself a couple feet from ebay, plus you can choose a different color if you want.

Good Luck! :bingo

tail light film has a very grainy appearace when looking through it. no visibility what so ever. I would maybe bring it to a paint and body shop that has sprayed tail lights b4. get it done that way.

Guest freshtints

is it to be worn or just to look good mounted on ur wall?

obvisouly if its to be worn ur gonna need to film it cos its gotta be see thro. if its not gonna be worn then you could try spraying it.

Guest tudorandrew

Cheers for your help guys, I guess a spray tint is my only real option here as I don't think im competent enough to heat curve tail light tint film onto it. and the helmet is a replica from one of the members of a DJ group called Daft Punk.