01 Range Rover

Guest Rama

Have one sitting in the shop for tomorrow. Never tinted one of these and the owner has another that he wants to have done, along with his Denali and posssibly his Porsche boxer. (must suck to be rich) Has anyone done one of these, and are there any surprises? The owner want me to tint all the visible glass so it looks like it came from the factory, but the outside edge of the glass goes in about 3/4 of an inch from the inside felt/rubber. I'm sure I will figure it out, but some helpful hints would be good!! Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:evileye Yea, I got bitched at by the detail guy about that, this one costs about $75k. I dont think it has the little windows that you are talking about. But I can tell you this, I would Never buy one for the only reason that it has the thin wire defroster in the windshield and it looks like your eyes aren't focusing right when you drive. No wonder these rich old farts wear glasses!!

only the discovery models have that small window up high near the back! if it is a range rover they are very easy! the felt that goes round the windows comes out very easily and pops back in no probs!

Guest Litespeeds

I have the honor to do tinting for British Motors in S.F. and have done quite a few Rover's. The one that TD was thinking about is the Land Rover Discovery. Some of those small windows up top are plastic and can't even be tinted.

As for the Range Rover that you are asking about, I would suggest you to pull back the door panel and actually remove the felt window trim so the glass is not touching anything. You have to be very careful as to not damage the glass because it will be knocking on the metal frame. A little tricky at first but you could stick some masking tape on the metal so it protects the glass a little.

The door panels can actually be pulled back from the top. I think there are 3 long plastic plugs that attaches the panel to the door. You should be able to pull off the trim and just tape up any excess area that you deem necessary. The windows are slightly oversized so you will need a 24" roll of film to tint the rollups.

The back glass can be tinted in one piece but you will need a 24 1/4" Roll if I remember right. You can also just tuck the tint behind the 3rd brake light without taking everything apart.

Other than that, I hope you are getting pretty good money for it. Not really hard but just takes time.

One other thing, take a look at the glass and if it is --- glass, be a little careful because on some of the older Rovers, the --- glass is very soft and can easily be scratched with your Olfa Blade.

Good luck. :dunno

Guest tintgod

if its one like this...it is a piece of cake...the back window have black border on the bottom..and all the seal come out all around the door windows.. :dunno

Litespeed, Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. Going to take your number to work in am, if I get stumped, I'll call you. Thanks for the know how on how to get the felt out and the glass softness and and and. Yes, he will be paying well for this! Have I said lately, I love this site? Where else can you post a question and get reply's from people who have exactly the answers you need, and right on time too! Thanks Lite and also TD for having the site.

Guest Litespeeds
Litespeed, Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.  Going to take your number to work in am, if I get stumped, I'll call you.

I will be going mobile today to some of my dealership jobs in S.F. If you call the shop and nobody is there, you can call me on my cell phone. I will pm the number to you.

If you can't get the felt window trim out, the best thing to do is to use masking tape and tape it all up. Make sure you use the 2" tape so it will cover a greater area. If you choose this route, I would advise you to allow about a 1/8"-3/16" gap from the side edges. Because of the tight black felt strip, it will be very hard to try and slip the film all the way in without getting creases or contamination. As long your cuts are straight, the job will still look very good.

As for guest, that picture is a Freelander. It is their entry level suv. :lol

Archived