Help with my mk2

Guest mj10

Guest tint325i

seriously, as naughtydog says, that is one of the hardest windows going for the uk boys, right up there with the mk1 mondeo hatch and the mk5 golf, took me 2 or 3 years to master it and like nick even now it takes a couple of goes on occasion, funny how it doesnt look like much in the picture tho!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looking good mate, I would just peel and fit inside. look proper gangsta :bingo

LOL. Dats wat I was finkin blud, innit, brap, check yo self!

I got that far by powder shrinking. I was gonna try the soap method this weekend SDK but the bristish weather stopped that. I'm looking out the window now and the snows still coming down hard! I doubt It'll be perfect and TBH, I don't think I'll get It looking anywhere near as good as I want but I may aswell try as I've got the film here.

If shrinking Is the hardest part, Anyone got a mk2 clio booked In or even got access to a mk2 so they could shrink me the rear window In 20% or a similar shade will do If you have no 20%? I'm In no rush for It so If It's a few weeks that's no bother. There's a mk3 clio pre shrunk kit on ebay but nothing shrunk for the mk2. Let me know a price If you can sort me out.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Damn in your picture dude you were so close!!!!! Soap shrink Alot easier!!! You can wet shrink after the powder also! You are inside why the snow stopping you?

Damn in your picture dude you were so close!!!!!

Really?

I'll probably try next weekend to finish It off with the soap method or even wet shrink It. I got the basic shape but as I started to get It flat I would move onto another patch and the bit I just shrunk would crinkle up again.

The cars kept outside most of the time and with freezing snow on the car and me heating up the back window to a fairly high temperature, knowing my luck the window would shatter! The garage isn't heated either so I can't really leave It In there to warm up. I'm In no rush so unless I get a ready shrunk piece I'll have a bash next weekend..

Guest shadowline
Damn in your picture dude you were so close!!!!!

Really?

I'll probably try next weekend to finish It off with the soap method or even wet shrink It. I got the basic shape but as I started to get It flat I would move onto another patch and the bit I just shrunk would crinkle up again.

The cars kept outside most of the time and with freezing snow on the car and me heating up the back window to a fairly high temperature, knowing my luck the window would shatter! The garage isn't heated either so I can't really leave It In there to warm up. I'm In no rush so unless I get a ready shrunk piece I'll have a bash next weekend..

What you shrunk would then crinkle up again???? In that case you are not shrinking it? Once its shrunk it will not "crinkle" again as you have just shrunk the execess out??? What are you tryning to shrink it with?

Guest VaTinterPMan

Dude it wont shatter, Just let it run with the defrosters on to warm it up! WE shrink the same spot on the film a lot! Its called moving the film to help shrink better, In every part of the film, It will lay down when it has been shrunk enough! I Can shrink and push fingers down put they come back up so than I just Heat a little more!

Shadow, Yes that's right. As It Is In the picture-I would then start at a lower corner, heat and then make sure It lays flat against the window using a wrapped hard card. I'm shrinking It with a borrowed heat gun. Think It's origional use Is a paint stripper gun but It still chucks out enough heat to shrink the film.

Perhaps that's the problem VA, I was just gonna wet shrink and then the water should grip the film abit better - no?

Still wouldn't mind a pre shrunk back window If any of the UK members have acces to a mk2.

Archived