Help with my mk2

Guest mj10

Will cheap film not shrink aswell as quality film? TBH the film I'm using probably isn't the best as It cost me just over 20 quid delivered for the rear kit and 15 quid for the front and that's pre cut so I'm on the back foot allready. The front film looks like It has some small horizontal squiggly lines as if It's been shrunk In just that area. I know I havn't put heat anywhere near it so I can only assume the tint quality isn't the best.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shadowline

You will not do the rear with a piece of film pre cut to size. You need to remove the rear spoiler, and have excess film top and bottom to do a bit of a lift and pull, or to slide up or down if you overheat it a bit. Cheap pre cut film is a waste.......you aint going to do it mate :hmmm

Ah FFS! Got so close today. I wet shrunk It and had It pritty much spot on . I hit the clear liner with abit too much film last time I tried and It singed abit so when I came to flatten that part today It didn't shrink properly!! Properly pissed off but I learnt alot about manipulating the film today.

06022010049.jpg

Thanks ND. I was quite pleased with myself. I know I could work alot of that mess on the side out. I took alot off It but when I realised the edge was gone I gave up abit. I was thinking I could maybe shrink It more when It was installed but don't know how the finished article would look? I've read guys on here that apply the heatgun to the outside of the window and It shrinks the applied film on the inside of the car? I'm guessing using the heat gun on the inside of the car with the film applied Is a no no? It's the clear backing liner that got singed, the film looks fine but I can't get It perfect now without removing the liner due to the over shrunk liner edges!

I've got the film pritty much done now so may aswell try that tomorrow and If It looks naff I'll take It off before the film cures.

It's only cheap film so I'm not too fussed. If this goes ***s up then I'll probably get some of the new graphite film from Bonwyke to try depending on the price of It. The first try on the rear window I left It as It Is In my first picture (with all the crinkles In and thought It would be fine) :beer I had no idea that It had to be perfectly flat when shrank :nope So this Is my second try overall. Probably cost me about a tenner so far In rear window film. I'm still not giving up on this piece yet. It's here and pritty much done so I may aswell see what I can do with It.

Guest shadowline
Nah forget It. The bit that got singed creased over too much so would of looked a pile of 5hi73. Back to the marking board.

Anyone got a mk2 coming In soon :beer

Are you wishing to be a window tinter or just get a cheap install on your own car then???? The latter I think?, if not pratice its the only way to learn my friend......

Are you wishing to be a window tinter or just get a cheap install on your own car then???? The latter I think?,

Correct, But as I'm going along I'm learning how to do It. Least then If any mates need a hand I can offer to help them out. However, If anyone can do me a pre shrunk back winda that will save me having the ball ache all over again.

Archived