Question on Tinting Front Winshield

Guest SweetMosses

Guest SweetMosses

I am tryin to find out what exactly is the rule of thumb for tinting the front windshield. I hear a lot of saying that you cannot use the heat gun or you can, just carefully.

Also, I hear that there are some windshields that you absolutley cannot use a heat gun on such as, a Mercedes or some other high end model with a special type of glass.

I am first going to be trying it on a '01 Lexus IS300, so if anyone has any red flags about tinting this particular windshield, please share.

All tips and ideas are welcomed and I will probably be updating with some further questions when I remember.

Thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am tryin to find out what exactly is the rule of thumb for tinting the front windshield. I hear a lot of saying that you cannot use the heat gun or you can, just carefully.

Also, I hear that there are some windshields that you absolutley cannot use a heat gun on such as, a Mercedes or some other high end model with a special type of glass.

I am first going to be trying it on a '01 Lexus IS300, so if anyone has any red flags about tinting this particular windshield, please share.

All tips and ideas are welcomed and I will probably be updating with some further questions when I remember.

Thanks

I wouldn't go darker than 50% on it, better yet, use 70% if you got it.

Guest tint14u

Thanks

:twocentscopcar.gif

Guest SweetMosses
popcorn.gif:
No help here. :twocents
:bingo

Thanks

Wow, ok lets try to keep this on topic, "Tips and Advice on how put tint on the front windshield".

Yes, thats fine for everybody that wanted to be the first to say "OMG like why is he tinting the windshield" and not actually contribute to my Post,you know the words I put together to form a post earlier.

"I wouldn't go darker than 50% on it, better yet, use 70% if you got it."

OK OK thanks, yes, sure I'll use 50% or wait 70% or even better yet lets just say its clear for anybody else wanting to post "No Comment" or whatever else they come up with.

Im not trying to be an ass but I just asked advice on how to perform a procedure not, should I or should I not do it.

Somebody asked me to tint their windshield and I said sure let me just do some research b/c I know its a little tricky.

Now, I shouldn't have to explain my whole life situation, shoud I?

Now, if anybody has any "advice on how to put tint on the front windshield", please post whats relevant.

Thanks

Wow, ok lets try to keep this on topic, "Tips and Advice on how put tint on the front windshield".

Yes, thats fine for everybody that wanted to be the first to say "OMG like why is he tinting the windshield" and not actually contribute to my Post,you know the words I put together to form a post earlier.

"I wouldn't go darker than 50% on it, better yet, use 70% if you got it."

OK OK thanks, yes, sure I'll use 50% or wait 70% or even better yet lets just say its clear for anybody else wanting to post "No Comment" or whatever else they come up with.

Im not trying to be an ass but I just asked advice on how to perform a procedure not, should I or should I not do it.

Somebody asked me to tint their windshield and I said sure let me just do some research b/c I know its a little tricky.

Now, I shouldn't have to explain my whole life situation, shoud I?

Now, if anybody has any "advice on how to put tint on the front windshield", please post whats relevant.

Thanks

Your second post does come off like your an ass. Doing windsheilds is illegal, so you probably won`t get much help here. Use the search function and see for yourself how most here feel about doing WS`s.

Now, you may get better results posting your question in the correct area, like the "Makes and Models" board.

all windshields are going to be laminated glass. Laminated glass is very risky to heat up EVER and you can be assured that if there is any small imperfection such as a rock chip.

I am not sure how any one windshield would be any more at risk....I know that some cars have laminated rear windows and a lot of them have laminated side glasses which is something to watch out for....

IF you MUST do a windshield then use a dry shrink and keep the heat off the glass as much as possible.....

OH and there is debate that ANY film on a windshield will make it unsafe and keep it from breaking OUT when someone hits it in a crash.....

Archived