G37 Coupe just tinted - is this normal?

Guest fadingsignal

Guest fadingsignal

Hello! I realize this is a forum for professional tinters, but I figured it would probably be a great place to get some consumer advice! Please let me know if this is the correct forum to post such a question.

I've had my '09 G37S Coupe for about 9 months now and finally got around to tinting it yesterday (35% all around, 3M Color Stable). I know it takes a few days for little bumps, streaks, and cloudiness to go away, but driving last night I realized there is something quite annoying about my back window now, and I'm not sure if this is normal.

The back window (like most newer cars have, I assume) has those tiny heating wires pinstriped across from top to bottom for defrosting, which I've never noticed and have never interfered with my vision before or caused any artifacts; but now after the tinting, each one of them distinctly reflects every light source, which gives a "shutter" effect through the entire back window. I've attached a quick photoshop of almost exactly what I see when I look in my rear-view mirror at night.

Is this normal, or did that tint place just not do it right? Should I wait it out before I flip out? I'm going to try and get some actual pictures tonight.

I also have a number of "hard" bumps in the tint that you can feel to the touch (not like a typical bubble or streak), but I'm going to wait those out.

Thanks!

ei3zv7.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.tintdude.com/care.html

Night Time Defogger Distortion

At night you may notice that the light from headlights will reflect off of the defogger lines. This is caused by the film having to bend slightly around the raised defogger line, it varies from car to car, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Because Your back window is at such a steep angle, You get refracting light from the tint as it bends around the defroster lines. Perfectly normal, and may get a LITTLE bit better as time goes by. The hard bumps? Probably a little contamination.

Oops.....TD is just a TAD quicker than I am...... :imok

nissan does have a thicker line than most other cars....so this is normal> could get better once it dries some?

as far as the hard bumps are they on the edges or in the center? would believe to be trash that might be from install...not normal

this pic looks crazy with the back glass so high off the road....

Guest fadingsignal

WOW, thanks for all of the replies everyone! That was fast! I understood the physics behind the issue, but wanted to confirm if it was a common issue when tinting, as I'd never seen it before. I feel a lot better knowing this does happen and varies car-to-car. Some folks on the MyG37 forums said their tint doesn't look like that, but it sounds like a dice roll potentially.

I don't mind the minor bumps (contamination), but in the passenger window I have 2 distinct, hard bumps about the size of a pencil eraser.

Anyhow, I'll wait it out and see how it goes.

Thanks again, everyone!

Guest fadingsignal
nissan does have a thicker line than most other cars....so this is normal> could get better once it dries some?

as far as the hard bumps are they on the edges or in the center? would believe to be trash that might be from install...not normal

this pic looks crazy with the back glass so high off the road....

The angle of the window plays into it I'm sure, but even if just one car is behind me, the defogger lines reflect the light perfectly all the way up and down the window -- pretty distracting.

The last car I owned I had tinted in 2001 by a mobile tint pro, and I didn't have a single (noticeable) spec of contamination; It never peeled, bubbled, tore, etc for the 6 years after that I had owned the car so my bar is set pretty high.

Again, I'll wait it out and let it bake for a few more days and see where things are.

Guest fadingsignal
thats an awesome photoshop representation

Thanks! I whipped it together pretty quick but wanted to have something tangible to post with. I'll still try to snap some real pictures tonight to show the degree in which I'm experiencing the issue.

Archived