Man trouble with heatshrink

Guest BAD60FT

Guest BAD60FT

I have tinted a few cars before but this weekend I tryed to tint a 2003

BMW 325I. I could not get the rear tint to lay flat. I tryed the wet method made a horizonal anchor across the center of the glass then flattened out the ends pushing the fingers towards the center. I ended up creasing one of the fingers on the bottom of the glass but decided to install it anyway

I peeled the liner off of the film and layed it across my arms and stuck it to the rear window, I had a hard time doing this it was like the film was sticking to the glass and I could not flatten it out. Trying to flatten it out with my card I put a bad crease in the center of it and one of the bottom corners had alot of big air pockets that would not lay flat. I think the solution I used was not real good, I picked it up at a autoparts store called tint on. The question I have is going by what happened do you think it is the solution that I used. I have been reading some posts on this it looks like most tinters use joy. If so how much do you use say in a standard size spray bottle. any help would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like you didn't have enough slip solution in the mix. You need to use enough so that it doesn't bead off the glass. Most tinters use baby shampoo, instead of joy, joy has detergents which can be hard on the adhesive. I use about 25 drops of baby shampoo per 2 pint sprayer.

Also, you might want to read this:

http://www.tintdude.com/reverse.html

This will allow you to "back roll" the film onto the glass instead of draping it over your arms.

Good Luck

when adding the soap dont forget that the hotter the day and the more humid it is the more soap you may need some days it just feels like I cant use enough soap I rember one time it was about a 100 or hotter and humid as could be my boss kept comlaining to me that there was not enough sopa in the bottles but I kept adding more finaly I got so pissed becaus he was acting as if it where my fault I dumped half a bottle of joy in a little bottle lol it looked like yellow plutonium and threw it at him and said this should be enough another lil tip anything you get from an autoparts store is more than likely junk as for td comment on jow and baby shampoo he is right I only use the joy because the smell from the baby shampoo makes me naucious

Guest BAD60FT

That sounds like it, the temperature was around 98 and the glass was very hot and the humitity was real bad

will try using baby shampoo next time to see if that works

thanks again for all the posts

I actualy though of making a soap dispenser for tinters. but just to lazy to do it .would take alot of time and patience. but it would basicly be like a syringe type deal. but with the lines for diferent tempatures and humidity levels.

Archived