Scratching the glass

Ok I have been using a single edge non S/S razor blade to clean the windows on the same car for many months now and have NEVER experienced any problems with scratching until today. The only difference today is I used a blue scrub pad in addition to my cleaning routine.

After I scrubbed the window with a blue scrub pad, I continued to razor but I notice something different this time, I hear these noises like a bunch of tiny rocks scrubbing against the window when I razor it. Then I realized after there were bunch of light scratches on the window. damn!!! Does the scrub pad have an effect on the window that I dont know about? I am wondering if this has happened to anyone before and what do you think are the problems? Do you think stainless steel razor blade would help? I am planning to switch to using plastic razor blade, does anyone know if they are effective or not? Thanks!!

I use the blue scrub pads and have for 10 years. I have only seen them scratch my own back window OUTSIDE when it was very dirty and I didn't spray it very much....

It sounds like there was something that was on your scrub pad that got deposited on the glass. Then you picked it back up with the razor blade and that scratched.

I don't normally clean any window with a blade unless I am removing old glue or stickers....just a scrub pad and then squeegee.

I use the blue scrub pads and have for 10 years. I have only seen them scratch my own back window OUTSIDE when it was very dirty and I didn't spray it very much....

It sounds like there was something that was on your scrub pad that got deposited on the glass. Then you picked it back up with the razor blade and that scratched.

I don't normally clean any window with a blade unless I am removing old glue or stickers....just a scrub pad and then squeegee.

Wow I think u just found my problem. I noticed there is alot of small chip coming out of the blue scrub pad. I think I should rinse it more often.

Anyways, my last question is about the plastic razor blade and if anyone has used them. I wanna know how effective they are.

I've had the 3M green/yellow scrubbie scratch the windows in Honda's, but never any other make. Now I use only 000 steel wool on Honda's. I never use a razor except to remove stickers and their always stainless steel.

I think it's the razors myself. I've been using non stainless single edge 1" razors for years and never had any problems till this last box of razors I got been getting real fine scratches in the glass :thumb Im bout to switch to stainless if it keeps up...

Archived