Quick BMW question!!

Guest shadowline

Guest shadowline

Is the X3 door card and the X5 door card the same in regards to fixing points etc? Done plenty of X3's but got a X5 due in, just wondering if the locations are the same??

Guest shadowline
Just pop the top an pull internal rubber or weather strip out,no need to remove plenty of room.

Cheers, its just I pull the X3 cards off in mins, was just wondering if the X5 fixings were in the same location!

Guest shadowline
Yup, exactly the same from memory....

Air bag, pop the top trim off, couple of torx's

But that should be enough to pop the top, then pull the rubber out!!

Cheers Tom thought they may be the same, but thought I would check!

Guest tint325i

I dont think they are the same are they?

how old an x5?

the x3 panel has a big long door handle right down it that you have to take the cover off, couple of torx behind that then clips all the way round and panel comes straight off without lifting (similar to e90 3series), the x5 has 2 torx screws behind the silver/wood trim at the top (x3 doesnt have this) and a torx lower on the face of the panel with no cover, you dont take the cover off the inner door handle on a mk1 x5, than once all clips are out on the x5 you have to lift the panel to get it off the door, the x3 doesnt have that big square black clip most of bmws have also the wiring is totally different, only window switch to worry about on x3, but on x5 you really have to watch the little led that lights the door handle, its really easy to break if you pull the panel from the wrong side (this is all for mk1 x5) the new x5 has a screw behind the surround for the interior door release but otherwise very similarto the mk1, but x3 door trim is much more like the new 3 series

AND--- if its a mk1 x5 with sunblinds on rear doors (quite rare) theres a pointless hidden screw behind the vertical blind for the 1/4glass, if you try to pull the top of that panel back you will kink the top of it and thats it fecked!!! x5 doorpanels are about £6-700 to replace, to get the blind off theres a little slot at the very top of it against the top door frame, you need a small flat screwdriver to push down on the clip behind the slot then blind lifts out top first revealing a screw at the bottom of the divider (not a problem on the poverty spec x3's!!)

Guest shadowline
I dont think they are the same are they?

how old an x5?

the x3 panel has a big long door handle right down it that you have to take the cover off, couple of torx behind that then clips all the way round and panel comes straight off without lifting (similar to e90 3series), the x5 has 2 torx screws behind the silver/wood trim at the top (x3 doesnt have this) and a torx lower on the face of the panel with no cover, you dont take the cover off the inner door handle on a mk1 x5, than once all clips are out on the x5 you have to lift the panel to get it off the door, the x3 doesnt have that big square black clip most of bmws have also the wiring is totally different, only window switch to worry about on x3, but on x5 you really have to watch the little led that lights the door handle, its really easy to break if you pull the panel from the wrong side (this is all for mk1 x5) the new x5 has a screw behind the surround for the interior door release but otherwise very similarto the mk1, but x3 door trim is much more like the new 3 series

Thanks for that I THINK its the Mk1, but not 100% sure at present. Yeah the X3 cards pull off and on within a few mins, but will bear all the above in mind, thanks mate!

Archived