Installation help for textured film

Guest doctorsubie

Guest doctorsubie

Hi,

we have a front door w/ clear glass panes. I purchased some Solyx frosted glass film and was proceeding to install onto the glass when I ran into some issues:

1) the textured film makes squeegeeing out water/bubbles almost impossible--is there any way/tip/tricks on how to work with this kind of film?

2) also, when I apply the water/soap mix, the film moves around too much--do I just apply a lot less with this kind of film?

Any help/experience with this film is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Guest doctorsubie
Is the film you are using SXLT-1305 (clear sheet of ice)? :cold and if not what is the # of the film?

yes, that's the one...

have any of you used a faster-drying 'slip'--I.e. maybe some isopropyl alcohol? Since I'm cutting the pieces fairly close to the size of the window pane, I don't think I'll need much time to set up (famous last words)--maybe just enough time to center it quickly, wait for it to rapidly dry, then cut the edging and squeeze out any air pockets?

not sure but I may have read somewhere that certain alcohol may leave behind a residue. also, I'm not sure what it'll do to the adhesive film either...

thanks for your replies guys!

Is the film you are using SXLT-1305 (clear sheet of ice)? :lol and if not what is the # of the film?

yes, that's the one...

have any of you used a faster-drying 'slip'--I.e. maybe some isopropyl alcohol? Since I'm cutting the pieces fairly close to the size of the window pane, I don't think I'll need much time to set up (famous last words)--maybe just enough time to center it quickly, wait for it to rapidly dry, then cut the edging and squeeze out any air pockets?

not sure but I may have read somewhere that certain alcohol may leave behind a residue. also, I'm not sure what it'll do to the adhesive film either...

thanks for your replies guys!

That’s what I had thought, I have had some trouble with that particular film in the past. You will need to use less soap. that film does NOT adhere to glass very well. You can even put that film on dry and it is still easily removed. And cuttingedge is right on with the use of a hard card for the application of the film and final step to set the film and use your more soapy slip along with the use of the hard card on the film. And go slow and also do horizontal and vertical passes with a hard card to assure you removed all of the water. And you will see a lot of air pockets form the outside in the film when fully cured to the glass do to the texture of the film. Not one of my favorites offered by them :cold

Guest doctorsubie

I tried applying it dry, and it worked out fine...because the film is so highly textured, I don't notice the air pockets, though I'm sure there are some trapped in there. I'm also using a yellow Gila-film card (the one that came w/ their film install kit).

thanks for all the replies guys, it looks like it's working out!

Archived