Idea to save a bit of time

Guest shadowline

Guest shadowline

I picked up a set of saxo rear quarterlight windows from the breakers for £10. Ive tinted them and have them in the unit, now I still get a good few Saxo's through as the young drivers still like them! The thing I find that takes the time was taking the glass out, tinting cuting the mounting holes, then trying to let them dry a while, then fit them back on making sure not to do the fixings up to tight to "twist" the film and cause a finger/bubble. So now I have a set tinted, fully dry, and ready to fit. (yes there are 5% I dont think I have tinted a saxo with anything lighter!). And also you can use then to show what a 5% film looks like or the effect of a "heavy" matrix has on the film to other customers. (You could also get a third one and glue half the matrix, and not the other half to show the effect of a glued matrix). I just thought for £10 you have something to show to customers and means Saxos would be in and uot in no time. Yes I know that sometimes customers cars have their own stickers etc on the glass, then you will just tint them as normal! You have any other ways of saving time etc??

Know the black edging around them windows.....

On some, the black edgin has worn away, creating a clear or semi clear bead where it normally rubs on the window rubber....

Black paint wont touch it. so do you know what will?

Guest shadowline

Good point Tom. No I dont know of anything that will cover that? Saying that Matty Cox had some great stuff at the Bonwyke open day to use on the Matrix, like a paint, he was going to let Nik know what it was and how to get hold of it? Now I think about it I havent heard anymore about it?

Know the black edging around them windows.....

On some, the black edgin has worn away, creating a clear or semi clear bead where it normally rubs on the window rubber....

Black paint wont touch it. so do you know what will?

You get similar marks on Puntos too, usually a water mark where it has gathered behing the glass and effectively rotted the black ceramic matrix.

When I used to install AutoGlass we used to use the black primer, it worked well, try and contact an auto glass firm and buy a tin. Think there is a shelf life.

Bob

I picked up a set of saxo rear quarterlight windows from the breakers for £10. Ive tinted them and have them in the unit, now I still get a good few Saxo's through as the young drivers still like them! The thing I find that takes the time was taking the glass out, tinting cuting the mounting holes, then trying to let them dry a while, then fit them back on making sure not to do the fixings up to tight to "twist" the film and cause a finger/bubble. So now I have a set tinted, fully dry, and ready to fit. (yes there are 5% I dont think I have tinted a saxo with anything lighter!). And also you can use then to show what a 5% film looks like or the effect of a "heavy" matrix has on the film to other customers. (You could also get a third one and glue half the matrix, and not the other half to show the effect of a glued matrix). I just thought for £10 you have something to show to customers and means Saxos would be in and uot in no time. Yes I know that sometimes customers cars have their own stickers etc on the glass, then you will just tint them as normal! You have any other ways of saving time etc??

Done this years ago when Saxo's where popular, cant remember the last time I tinted one.

I always found it better to blade the dots, rub with steel wool then clean and tint, came out great.

Bob

Done this years ago when Saxo's where popular, cant remember the last time I tinted one.

I always found it better to blade the dots, rub with steel wool then clean and tint, came out great.

Bob

That's what I do... Takes more time, but it's the right way IMO. As for the primer I did think about that, but I swear I've tried it before on a mk5 golf rear quater light, scratched it with the olfa on this inside of the black

edging and

couldn't find anything to hide the scratch.... I

sure I used primer... The stuff u use around windscreens before bonding them in..

Archived