Plexi - Barrel Skylites

Been awhile since I had any of these.

Heat and Glare problems. Plexi so film is not an option. Two long rows, each with about 20 of these skylites next to each other.

Have installed the mesh covers in the past - but never to units this long. When I used the mesh covers I tied loops around each corner. Since these have so many units next to each other, wouldn't be able to do the same in one cover since it will take more than one mesh cover for each of the long rows.

Thanks for any advice from someone who has done similar.

Roach - they are much smaller. About 69" in length (measured along the surface). And maybe 3' wide (didn't even bother measuring it yet) for each of the about 40 units.

How did things work with blister free film? Did you put silver on top of the blister free?

Never have used the blister free - kind of worried about something that I can't scrape off if I needed to.

The blisterfree film is thicker then normal solar films.... IMO, it's rather hard to work with on a normal 'window' let alone overhead curved skylights. It took a ton of film cause we kept messing up... the film is super PS... and if it folds in on itself even a little, the odds of being able to pull it apart and save it... is low. At least that's one of the problems we had... but ours were 112 inches long. The other issue is that the plexi flexes and causes fingers.

But.. once we got a system down, it went better. Not great.. but better.

As far as removing BF film... had to do that the summer before last. Did a job with 55x55 plexi windows.. put one layer right on top of the other - BF then solar... and the BF bubbled up and I had to remove it. Came off without any issues after being on a week. After that, I did the first layer, the BF, let is dry for a week.. went back and put on the 2nd layer of solar film and had no problems.

I think the skylights worked doing it at the same time cause the sun was baking it all day long. So we did the BF layer on all the skylights.. then went back and put on the solar film layer... couple hours between the two. We went back about a week later when we were in the area just to check them out and it looked good.

So at the very least, since you have to actually tint them each twice, you gotta double your price. And since it's a pain.... add a lot more.

It's doable.. not fun at all... but doable.

Thinking I'm going to have to do skylite covers on the outside. Too many panels to treat, and they are just above desks, to want to first do a bf install and then come back later for the solar install. And still would be worried about problems. Least I know I can somehow install the covers and they will work.

Thinking I'm going to have to do skylite covers on the outside. Too many panels to treat, and they are just above desks, to want to first do a bf install and then come back later for the solar install. And still would be worried about problems. Least I know I can somehow install the covers and they will work.

:thumb

Mike

The only one I know is Hendee in Houston with their Enduro line. But they haven't even returned my call from yesterday. If you can recommend someone else I'd appreciate it.

Here is one I did last year it was the most challenging one I have done to date. Who do you use to make the covers for you?

officepics-2-1.jpg

If it needs to stay clear... Hanita has a film for this kind of material ( looks like silver 20, called polyzone or something like that. )

otherwise use liquisol, a special paint for this material. Looks opaque/pearly. One layer of paint reduces 26%, two layers reduces 42% of solar energy.

www.liquisol.nl

Archived