How do you know how much is too much in terms of your prices?

You should always know what your competition is charging, but no you don't have to limit yourself to the same...

In my experience presentation is everything...... that is not restricted to the visual trimmings only though. Uniforms, quote pads, presentation folders, business cards all add to your professional credability but, I personally think the true point of difference and often the deciding point is, know your product and its comparatives.... can you hold your own when a customer wants to know all the technical data in laymans terms or do you stumble? Customers quickly loose confidence in the tradesman who can't answer their questions..... If you ever find yourself unable to answer a question talk to your rep (make them earn your business).

The key IMO if you are looking to charge more that your competitors is to keep the gap $$ reasonable; you can price yourself out of the market if you're too greedy; and wordlessly justify the extra with the packaging, carry yourself with the confidence that you are worth what you're asking and your customers will believe it too..... well it works for me, good luck :lol

The key IMO if you are looking to charge more that your competitors is to keep the gap $$ reasonable; you can price yourself out of the market if you're too greedy; and wordlessly justify the extra with the packaging, carry yourself with the confidence that you are worth what you're asking and your customers will believe it too..... well it works for me, good luck :lol

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom - I'm not trying to be greedy... or think I deserve more then I should be making, but when I started almost 10 years ago, the prices weren't far off from where they are now, and in some cases, even lower then they were. I'm in this business to make money - otherwise I'm just wasting my time. As another post said - tinters seem to race each other to $0.00... see who can get there the fastest. That is not where I wanna go thats for dang sure!

But... as you said, I don't want to price myself out of biz.

What everybody else is doing has always been a number that has absolutely no bearing on our prices.....

Figure out what your operating costs are and an appropriate profit margin making sure to leave room for growth.... that is your price

Every year your price will increase based on product cost / inflation (if you don't stay ahead of inflation you are actually operating at a loss year after year)

go close sales !

If you can't survive then something is out of wack.. be it operating costs, profit margins, sales technique, or marketing / advertising

setting your price based on the competition is just the blind leading the naked around...... not good, not good at all..... :lol

What everybody else is doing has always been a number that has absolutely no bearing on our prices.....

Figure out what your operating costs are and an appropriate profit margin making sure to leave room for growth.... that is your price

Every year your price will increase based on product cost / inflation (if you don't stay ahead of inflation you are actually operating at a loss year after year)

go close sales !

If you can't survive then something is out of wack.. be it operating costs, profit margins, sales technique, or marketing / advertising

setting your price based on the competition is just the blind leading the naked around...... not good, not good at all..... :lol

:lol

The key IMO if you are looking to charge more that your competitors is to keep the gap $$ reasonable; you can price yourself out of the market if you're too greedy; and wordlessly justify the extra with the packaging, carry yourself with the confidence that you are worth what you're asking and your customers will believe it too..... well it works for me, good luck :beer

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom - I'm not trying to be greedy... or think I deserve more then I should be making, but when I started almost 10 years ago, the prices weren't far off from where they are now, and in some cases, even lower then they were. I'm in this business to make money - otherwise I'm just wasting my time. As another post said - tinters seem to race each other to $0.00... see who can get there the fastest. That is not where I wanna go thats for dang sure!

But... as you said, I don't want to price myself out of biz.

I did not intend to call you greedy....sorry about that. I meant it in a broad scope. As you said, prices have not gone up in the retail market for many years. We did auto up until a few years ago. I would say our price point in 1997 was just about the same as it was in 2007. Now with the economy the way it is...I dont think I could get what I was in 97. As far as the FG business, We have become more and more efficient over the past 20+years. Our prices PSF have been stagnant for some time but the ammt of sf we can hang per hour is way up. I have said for some time in other posts that I believe the next 18 mos are going to be the shake out mos. We have another substantial downturn coming and many will not be standing after it.

I did not intend to call you greedy....sorry about that. I meant it in a broad scope. As you said, prices have not gone up in the retail market for many years. We did auto up until a few years ago. I would say our price point in 1997 was just about the same as it was in 2007. Now with the economy the way it is...I dont think I could get what I was in 97. As far as the FG business, We have become more and more efficient over the past 20+years. Our prices PSF have been stagnant for some time but the ammt of sf we can hang per hour is way up. I have said for some time in other posts that I believe the next 18 mos are going to be the shake out mos. We have another substantial downturn coming and many will not be standing after it.

I didn't take it personally - I figured you used it in general terms so it's all good. :beer I just didn't want to put out a vibe that I'm just greedy and looking to line my pockets to the fullest. I do feel that I offer a quality service, esp. when I see what other tint shops are putting out as far as films and their 'quality' installs. Many times I just shake my head.... so if I know my service is above others, I'd like to be fairly compensated for higher quality.

Just to give an example - I do office cleaning in the evenings from time to time for extra money... I bounce between getting my own contracts and working for other companies... and one company I was working for started cleaning this one place and they lowballed the prior cleaning company in order to get the contract. The cleaning that I did was far better then the last guy.... and yet the company I was working for got paid less. How screwed up is that?!?!?!

The charge for my tinting services is not the cheapest... but there's a good reason for that.

Archived