rid the odor

I got my son a vehicle. The carpet had stains and it reeked of air freshener! Thought we could deal with it. Took it to detailer. and he actually got the stains out. The odor is still very strong. My question is this. What holds the most residual odor the carpet or seats (leather). I am about to pull all carpet out and replace. But don't want to if it may be the seats. Scared to get down and smell closely :spit If I do take out carpet, what do I get and where? 2003 Nissan Pathfinder

Guest Tint Legend

This may sound insane but I have found it to work on numerous occassions. Go get some fresha apples and pears (alot). Cut them in half and place them in bowls all over the vehicle. Do this for a a couple of weeks and it will remove most of the smell. You can also try renting a odor eater pure air machine and run in it there at night. Good luck.

Guest execpaintpro

Try a box or two of baking soda but if the smell continues use an ozone generator to neutralize the odor. Ozone is very powerful and can be a life saver in these situations.

I am sure all the fabric would be "holding" the smell. The detailer should have some sort of extractor to deep clean fabric and carpet. Then the only thing would be the headliner.....

I personally have the "Ionic Pro" car ionizers in our vehicles and they help A LOT with smells. My wives van smelled like a wet dog, but doesn't any more without doing any real cleaning on it... I bought my ionizers at walmart, but they quit carrying them...can find them online.

Ozone genrerators are AWESOME!! too

Guest Tint Legend
What is a ozone generator and where do you get one?

thanks for the replies

Your local detailer should have one, or try one of those equipment rental places. Good luck.

Guest GothamAuto@gmail.com

The Ozone Generator will most likely do the trick, but the whole interior SHOULD be fully detailed first. Ozone Generators work best when they only have lingering odor bacteria to deal with. They are not the cure all for smelly cars. If you do go to a detail shop, make sure they do a full interior detail (steam cleaning, hot water extraction, etc) and clean every little inch of the car first before they use the Ozone Machine.

Guest Tint Legend
The Ozone Generator will most likely do the trick, but the whole interior SHOULD be fully detailed first. Ozone Generators work best when they only have lingering odor bacteria to deal with. They are not the cure all for smelly cars. If you do go to a detail shop, make sure they do a full interior detail (steam cleaning, hot water extraction, etc) and clean every little inch of the car first before they use the Ozone Machine.

:eyebrows

Archived