small sub enclosure?

I am thinking about doing a small sub in my van. I just want to make it fit where a center console would be in between the seats. I figure I can do 9 x 20 x 10 inches. I was thinking an 8" but am wondering if a 6" would be able to be a ported box at that size.

Any suggestions? It has been years since I really gave much head to car audio and what is out there. I know a good 8" sealed would be alright.

I am looking for a bit of a boom and just a fuller sound. I don't have much room anywhere else except possibly in the rear hatch.

I know my small Altec computer speaker set up with a small sub sounds pretty nice on there and my yamaha home speaker set with a powered sub will rumble pretty good....I also know that the Fostex PM1 powered monitors with a 6.5 inch ported set up sound incredible for a small driver.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about doing the 8 firing down....

suggestions on what sub? amp and size?

for now the rest of the sound is going to be head unit power with factory speakers.....just need some good bottom....

everybody has their opinions.... at the end of the day you are buying a magnet that moves a cone.... :dunno

If I was going to go buy something today I would probably pick up a 'mid line' driver from one of the mannys (kicker cvr, mtx 6000, alpine swr, etc...) and an amp with enough juice to power it....

I'll let the locals argue about why 'punch is better than excelon' :dunno

I am asking for opinions......

I have had in the past; Cerwin Vega 15" four of them done face to face iso in a ported enclosure. I had 2 vega 8" in a ported enclosure and also had them mounted in the doors when I had the four 15"..... I had 2-12" Pioneer free air subs done in my 87 cavalier....all these were done in this cavalier. I even had 2-12" Pyramid subs done in PVC tubes at one time.....

I had a 1996 Cavalier with 4-10" JL audio free air subs. My last system designs were done around 2 JL 12w3 subs....

I just want something that is not going to break the bank...but sound good....

Guest scottydosnntkno

since it sounds like you've had some nice stuff in the past, maybe go for a 8w6 or 8w7, sealed or ported either way it will sound good

Guest tint51
I am thinking about doing a small sub in my van. I just want to make it fit where a center console would be in between the seats. I figure I can do 9 x 20 x 10 inches. I was thinking an 8" but am wondering if a 6" would be able to be a ported box at that size.

Any suggestions? It has been years since I really gave much head to car audio and what is out there. I know a good 8" sealed would be alright.

I am looking for a bit of a boom and just a fuller sound. I don't have much room anywhere else except possibly in the rear hatch.

I know my small Altec computer speaker set up with a small sub sounds pretty nice on there and my yamaha home speaker set with a powered sub will rumble pretty good....I also know that the Fostex PM1 powered monitors with a 6.5 inch ported set up sound incredible for a small driver.

Being some what technical.. with bass woofers.. they are air pumps... The bigger the woofer the longer the sound feq. is.. So like a 6in. woofer close to u is better then a bigger one, as it takes time and area to move the air ... Like next to u a 6in speaker may sound better then a 15in next to you. That is why u hear people down the street with 15s and not some with 8s til next to u. So if it is next to you in a console I would 6in... unless you want to hear it outside more then go bigger..

:tinttank:

Archived