Panorama vs 3m films for residential applications

Guest drw6895

Guest drw6895

I am looking at Panorama & 3M window films for residential windows on a two story home in Southwestern Ohio. The vinyl windows are 12 years old and appear to be in satisfactory condition. In the Panorama films, we are looking at the Hilite & Slate 40 films. In the 3M product line, we were looking at the Prestige 70 series and the Scotchgard NV35.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a substanial quality difference between the respective Panorama & 3M films we are considering? Also, in the event of ever needing to file a warranty claim, is one Company easiser to deal with than the other?

2. Does window film extend the life of residential windows? Would it be worthwhile to use Panorama Highlight or 3M Presige 70 on Peachtree vinyl windows that are 12 years old? Am I wasting my money?

3. Would any of the above films impact cell service in the home? Should I avoid any of these films due to this or similar problems?

Thanks,

DRW

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

I'll put your first concern to rest. Prestige is garbage, everything about it from marketing to material. There are plenty of threads on this site that will support my opinion. Go with the Panorama. :evilgrin

#2 No, film does not extend the life of residential windows. The only thing that it does in that department is reduce sun damage and on some windows that means that it can reduce the amount of damage the sun does to the frames.

#3 Cell phone reception be fine with any of those films. :krazy

Guest Readyman

Ignore VClimber comments regarding the Prestige, he always gets his p@nties in a bunch anytime 3M is mentioned.

Having installed both Panorama and 3M for many years you can't go wrong with either film. I personally like the appearance of the Slate 40 over the NV35, but that's just me.

As far as warranty goes if you ever do have a claim it will be much easier dealing with 3M than with Bekaert. :dunno

Guest vclimber
Ignore VClimber comments regarding the Prestige, he always gets his p@nties in a bunch anytime 3M is mentioned.

Having installed both Panorama and 3M for many years you can't go wrong with either film. I personally like the appearance of the Slate 40 over the NV35, but that's just me.

As far as warranty goes if you ever do have a claim it will be much easier dealing with 3M than with Bekaert. :beer

Hey Ready maybe you can answer a few questions about Prestige since you are so versed in it? My p@nties bunch up because none of the 3M'ers will answer some of these questions so I feel an obligation to bring it to the consumer's attention just as I would hope someone would do the same for me if I were in their shoes.

-Is it true that dog mucus/slobber will attack the SR coat and take the color off?

-What is "color shift" and is it present when you look at Prestige films at an angle?

-Does the film really reject 97% of all NIR (780-2500nm)?

-What happens to the micro layers if they are exposed to solvents or ammonia that is present in cleaners like Windex?

-btw You are right Slate 40 does look nice. -Ime if it is installed correctly you will never have to make a warranty claim. :dunno

Guest teamfutaba

As far as warranty goes if you ever do have a claim it will be much easier dealing with 3M than with Bekaert. :beer

Hey Ready maybe you can answer a few questions about Prestige since you are so versed in it? My p@nties bunch up because none of the 3M'ers will answer some of these questions so I feel an obligation to bring it to the consumer's attention just as I would hope someone would do the same for me if I were in their shoes.

-Is it true that dog mucus/slobber will attack the SR coat and take the color off? NO. never seen dog slobber ruin one of my installs...

-What is "color shift" and is it present when you look at Prestige films at an angle? NO, never had a custy complain about "color shift"

-Does the film really reject 97% of all NIR (780-2500nm)? NO, only between 900nm and 1000nm " I.e. near infrared"

-What happens to the micro layers if they are exposed to solvents or ammonia that is present in cleaners like Windex? AGAIN, never had an warranty claim with PR-70.

-btw You are right Slate 40 does look nice. -Ime if it is installed correctly you will never have to make a warranty claim. :dunnoyou mean if they build it correctly you will never have warranty claim. isn't there a class action law suit as we type against bekaert for knowingly selling defective film to there dealers for the SECOND time. im just asking :mad .

given solargard's track record you can make a educated decision.

god I love this website.

Guest teamfutaba
:dunno

I'm surprised You'd ask, after the last time I broke our "Man Date" .... :beer

:mad

thats good comedy, thanks for my second laugh of the day... friday all day "official practice" sat all day and sun until 2.

Archived