cleaning and maintaining film after installation

Guest Darknesswithin

Guest Darknesswithin

What are you telling your customers to clean there window film after installation?

What are you using to prep the glass before installation?

What are you using as your solution to install your window films?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you telling your customers to clean there window film after installation?

1. Spray way glass cleaner alcohol base

2. prep with the same

3. baby shampoo and water

:dunno

Cheers

Stan :beer

Guest Scottsfire

2. prep with the same

Cheers

Spray Way? Is that in a blue can? Foamy liquid? Think I have some and love it, but not sure of name

2. prep with the same

Cheers

Spray Way? Is that in a blue can? Foamy liquid? Think I have some and love it, but not sure of name

It is the stuff in the blue can. I like using a foamy cleaner the best. You can buy it at even Walmarts but if you buy it from a Janitorial supply house the cans usually have more a industrial look. I sell them to customers with a huge mark-up or give the customer one if are nice or had to wait longer than quoted :lol2

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I buy my Sprayway at Smart n Final, but I've been looking for a wholesaler where I can buy it by the case and resell it. Does anybody have the hook up on any wholesalers who got it.

Guest Darknesswithin

the reason for this thread is to determine if "what" your telling your customers to use on there Window film to clean and maintain will not harm the film and is not part of what makes film prematurely go bad over time, rather time is over a period of weeks, months, years.

I use JJ Baby shampoo as my slip solution

I use "dirt off" to prep the glass before installation

as for cleaning the film after installation and maintaining after installation I use #1,, Water and a Micro fiber cloth (courtesy of "Tint Artist") or #2 JJ Baby shampoo and Micro fiber cloth

the product that a few of you have mentioned is called "Spray Way"

I looked up the ingredents in this product and I wonder why you guys use it. correct me if I'm wrong but these are pretty harsh chemicals to use on a product like a Plastic film that is made up of various layers of "Polyester's, plastic's,metal's,along with adhesive coating's and UV blocking agents"<< not going to go into the entire list of componets

these are the componets that are in "Spray Way"

2-Butoxyethanol

Ethyl Alcohol

Propane

n-Butane

each and everyone of those chemicals come with a safety warning on uses and precautions on skin contact just like All Glass cleaner's.. wonder how that effects a soft material like "Window Film" <<<< plastic surface?

for removal of old/bad films and adhesive thats left behind it is known that window tinters use chemicals like Film off,tint off, Ammonia and or any Glass cleaner along with a black bag and the direct sun to sweat and break down the adhesive for a proper clean up,,

Now we all know that by using a glass cleaner won't effect the films right away but what does it do after using it over a long period of time? We all see films that have failed by either adhesive failure, turning purple, delaminating, scratch resistant coating flaking etc etc... And we all know that the #1 killer of window film is UV rays,,,, whats the #2 killer??

If you take any chemical that is listed in Any glass cleaner and put it on your hands "skin surface" over a few minutes you will have dry hands and will have to apply lotion to your skin to put back moisture because of the "drying out effect" ,,, how different is that on using on a plastic surface??

If I'm wrong by thinking that Alcohol, Ammonia, 2-Butoxyethanol, Ethyl Alcohol, Propane, n-Butane and a mile line of other ingredents associated in "Glass cleaners" will dry out soft surfaces,,,,, then PLEASE someone show me that it does not do that..

Guest tintjam65

None of those chemicals cause a film to turn purple. The loss of yellow in the coloring causes film to turn purple.

None of those are used to an extreme that would impact the polyester or other components. Any household cleaner is what I recommend (how often does a homeowner clean their windows :thumb ).

Yes they will dry your skin left there long enough but the typical homeowner spray mists and immediately wipes.

The SRC flakes because it wasn't cured long enough during manufacturing process or the coating was to thin or it was cheap SRC to start with. :thumb

None of those chemicals cause a film to turn purple. The loss of yellow in the coloring causes film to turn purple.

None of those are used to an extreme that would impact the polyester or other components. Any household cleaner is what I recommend (how often does a homeowner clean their windows :lol2 ).

Yes they will dry your skin left there long enough but the typical homeowner spray mists and immediately wipes.

The SRC flakes because it wasn't cured long enough during manufacturing process or the coating was to thin or it was cheap SRC to start with. :thumb

fuggin' :thumb

Archived