cleaning and maintaining film after installation

Guest Darknesswithin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sell them to customers with a huge mark-up

So its ok for you to do it, but not ok for someone selling to you :dunno

We're in this business to make money, not friends.....low initial purchase price, and high resale price is the only way to go. I got a trip to Aruba to pay for. :beer

Guest Tint Legend

So its ok for you to do it, but not ok for someone selling to you :dunno

We're in this business to make money, not friends.....low initial purchase price, and high resale price is the only way to go. I got a trip to Aruba to pay for. :beer

:gay Totally agree Booms, so then why is it wrong for a supplier we buy from to mark there products up also :mad

I dont think it is, I just noticed on the tool thread he was whining about there mark up.

Guest scottydosnntkno

So its ok for you to do it, but not ok for someone selling to you :mad

We're in this business to make money, not friends.....low initial purchase price, and high resale price is the only way to go. I got a trip to Aruba to pay for. :spit

:spit Totally agree Booms, so then why is it wrong for a supplier we buy from to mark there products up also :embar

I dont think it is, I just noticed on the tool thread he was whining about there mark up.

there is a difference between reasonable markup and excessive. The metal edge tool usually runs $10-15, so a company suddenly marking it up to $40 is kind of excessive. I wouldn't pay for it either. Would you?

WINDEX IS NOT TO BE USED ON TINT. PERIOD.

All those pictures show film failure do to film failing not from what was used to clean it. Most likely a straight dye product, they don't last no matter who makes it. Metalized and nano ceramice far out last plain dye film.

I've used windex regularly on all my windows since I started tinting. (mainly to see what would happen) my personal shiat that is. never once have I had film failure due to a cleaning product. the film fails because it's junk film. scratch coat flaking I would blame on ammonia--based cleaners...but having said that it's still never happened on any of my shiat.

Guest scottydosnntkno
WINDEX IS NOT TO BE USED ON TINT. PERIOD.

All those pictures show film failure do to film failing not from what was used to clean it. Most likely a straight dye product, they don't last no matter who makes it. Metalized and nano ceramice far out last plain dye film.

I've used windex regularly on all my windows since I started tinting. (mainly to see what would happen) my personal shiat that is. never once have I had film failure due to a cleaning product. the film fails because it's junk film. scratch coat flaking I would blame on ammonia--based cleaners...but having said that it's still never happened on any of my shiat.

:embar up here film fails because its just old as hell, down there it fails because its cheap film. Just because Darkness applies nice film ,doesn't mean everyone else does, regardless of what they tell the customer. I think we all know that

You cannot blame a film failing directly on a cleaning product, but certain ones certainly don't help the cheap films any

Guest Darknesswithin
have you ever thought that maybe this film went bad because it was junk film. Also, IMO, a lot of adhesive failure these days can be attributed to lack of getting as much water out between the film as possible,which means, poor tinting technique.

cheaper tint jobs mean they have to work faster OR cut corners,therefore not getting most of the water out,which leads to adhesive failure. JMO

Yes sir that is my opinion on the films as well!,, Junk! and as for removing water out from in between the film that is definitely a must to ensure a good tint job, I use a 3 step squeegee method, with the final step by using a blue max with more than one pass over the film...

well if the original tinter told her to use windex, then thats a failure on their part, because as I've said countless times, WINDEX IS NOT TO BE USED ON TINT. PERIOD.

do YOU think that its okay to use windex on tint? You haven't made that clear in any of your posts, you appear to be defending windex again in lumping it into the same class as other window cleaners that are not amonia based. How many times do I have to say it before it sinks in, you CANNOT use amonia based cleaners on window tint.

also, any automotive specific window cleaner, such as IG, NXT, meguiars, etc all specifically state "safe for ALL tinted windows." no company would say tinted windows/glass in reference to factory tint, because everyone knows that its just dyed glass

and it is SPRAYWAY,not SPRAYAWAY people.

I never noticed that :embar

I'm sorry scotty for not being clear on what I use or recommend,, it's in my first post! but here ya go again and this should be enough to clear up what I advise my customers..

I recommend my customers to Not use anything that has the word "Glass" in the same name of whatever cleaner they are using, I always tell them it's better to use either Plain water or a drop of JJ baby shampoo in a spray bottle of water along with a Micro Cloth << which I provide for free on every tint job I do. (the Micro cloth)

I'm against Any and Every Glass cleaner being used on a window film period!,, and again the point of this thread was to just find out what you guys are telling your customers to use. your preference is fine by me but I'm going to continue telling my customers not to do it. So NO I don't think windex is good for anything but glass.

Yes tintjam65 those pics are of failed films and not necessary of what has made them go bad,,, all the customers stated they used glass cleaners and thats why I posted those pics in this thread.. which leads me to believe that the products on these cars are poor quality to begin with, however I'm sure that users of the products are going to and have already claimed that there films Do Not do this "Fail",,

so I'll show this one pic without showing the location or Name of tinter that did it in the beginging

BUT WAIT ,,,,, just to be clear on this,,, I tinted this car Myself aproximently 6 years ago , product used on this one was LLumar ATR Stealth,, film has held up good except for the bubbling in the rear glass and SRC coming off, a safe for tint cleaner (stoner brand) was used on this film as stated from the customer at the time of removal.

100_2329.jpg

I asked once and will ask again. Please keep an open mind on this subject because my point in all this is to figure out if we are leading our customers in the wrong direction by telling them to use "glass cleaners" which contain abrasive or harsh chemicals apparently that only my opinion.

and by telling them to use a Non-detergent, Non-abrasive, Non-alcohol based, Non-ammonia based cleaning agent I believe the films of no matter what your preference is that they will last longer ,, JMO!

So its ok for you to do it, but not ok for someone selling to you :embar

We're in this business to make money, not friends.....low initial purchase price, and high resale price is the only way to go. I got a trip to Aruba to pay for. :spit

:lol2 Totally agree Booms, so then why is it wrong for a supplier we buy from to mark there products up also :spit

there is a difference between reasonable markup and excessive. The metal edge tool usually runs $10-15, so a company suddenly marking it up to $40 is kind of excessive. I wouldn't pay for it either. Would you?

Tint Legend your regular nasty monthly post about me make about as much sense as this thread at times. :mad You claim not to know who I am or know me or anything about me so whats the deal with all the snarky remarks? So I make a buck off a 2 buck can of glass cleaner big deal. If memory serves me last month you said I was the number 1 or possibly number 2 worst scourge in the tinting business :mad At any rate sorry for the way you feel......

Keeping on topic............

There are so many variables with why film fails that it's going to be hard to pin it on anything. WHO knows what the customer really does after we install our film. Several months ago their was a thread about dog saliva eating up hard coat that I think most people agreed this happens. I know my mother had big problems with hard coat failure and I had to keep redoing her car till we nailed it........... she stopped using hair spray in the car and no more problems.

Cheers

Stan

Anyone use Plexus to shine the film up after install? I have been using it for heat forming also and am getting to like it!! It makes the window look nice and very slick :mad

till we nailed it........... she stopped using hair spray in the car and no more problems.

Cheers

Stan

hairspray is a problem. I finally made my wife stop using that shiat in her car after redoing her driver's door a couple times. :embar

Archived