EWF Pearl Ceramic

Just opened the box of Pearl Ceramic that I ordered, WOW is all I can say. My grass doesn't even stay this green in the summer. I like the look of the TB that I got, but I do think that the Pearl Ceramic will be going back as my house is not going to be turning green anytime soon. Maybe this is the same for all Ceramic flat glass lines but it's definitely not going to work for me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spoke to Howard this afternoon and he told me that the green look is due to the fluorescent lights in the shop. Guess I will try a window when I get home and see how it looks. Hoping for the best but I won't be convinced until I see the results.

Gents,

For Clarification: Our Pearl Ceramic line is sub-divided into two different categories (Automotive & Flat Glass).

The color on the Pearl Ceramic Automotive is indistinguishable from the True Black (it's made with the same base chip-dyed polyester as TB).

If you are seeing a slight green, you are looking at the Pearl Ceramic Flat Glass, not the automotive. The green cast is accentuated when viewed in fluorescent light. It's what's known as a metamaric color. In other words, the color of the film will change depending upon the wavelength of the light in which it is viewed.

As with any flat glass film, it should be viewed in natural sunlight. Granted, there is a slight green cast to it, but you will note that it looks very much like the modern architectural grade glass which is installed in newly constructed high rise buildings and public spaces. I have not heard any negative post installation feedback about the color. Once it's installed on the glass, it looks very natural, modern and appealing.

The main reason why the price is less than the competitor's is that this film is made by embedding the titanium nitride (ceramic) nano particles into the chips prior to extrusion. Our competitors use sputter deposition, which is a more expensive process without any obvious benefit.

Sales of these films could be higher, but we really don't push them. To my way of thinking, there are a narrow range of applications where their benefits are worth the additional cost. If the situation warrants them (and my opinion is solicited) I will suggest a Ceramic. Most of the time, I will usually suggest the least expensive construction that will get the job done.

Questions ?? (800)FILM-NOW or howard@buytint.com

Thanks,

Howard

Not as easy to work with compared to TB but has a similar color.. im still on the fence about the Ceramic line

Classictint nailed it. Same color as TB. Different shrink characteristics. Remember that Ceramics are infra-red absorbers, so they will react differently to the energy emitted by your heat guns. Once over the learning curve, you're fine.

-Howard

I am using the flat glass line, might have to try out the automotive if I like this stuff. Just installed it on one pane in my home, it was getting dark when I did it so I couldn't tell what it looked like with the sunlight. Hopefully within the next couple of days I will get home at a decent hour so I can tell the color. I do have to say that it does look kind of green yet, and I don't have flourescent lights in my house. I might just be me though as I am used to using Suntek and American Solar Kontrol flat glass films which almost seem blue to me.

Maybe this isn't an appropriate film for a house, maybe it should be more reserved to commercial applications, just wanted to get the best performing film while I was doing it. If anyone would recommed something different let me know, I'm not looking to spend a fortune though as I don't plan on living in this house the rest of my life.

The wife just made the comment "it makes the white bars in the windows look green" so this may be a no go if it doesn't change in the sunlight, but I don't doube that the light will make a big difference. I do a lot of wide format digital printing and grays always have this same problem, only they will look pink in the flourescent light and green in the sun.

Archived