Broken inside pane.

I had a customer the other day that had to have a window refilmed because a golf ball hit it. The weird part is that the golf ball hit the outside pane but shattered the inside pane. I asked the customer if he was sure that a golfball hit the window, he said he was positive because he was sitting there when it happened and talked to the golfer when he came to apologize. My question is how can the golf ball break the inside pane and not the outside? The glass was tempered and had NV-15(old) installed on the inside and was about 60" x 30". Anyone ever seen this happen before? New to me......

Guest scottydosnntkno
the ball didnt actually break the window , shock wave through the gas on a already thermo stressed pane did ... :D

:D was going to be my guess. The high frequency vibrations through the outside pane to the frame then to the edges of the inside pane

the ball didnt actually break the window , shock wave through the gas on a already thermo stressed pane did ... :D

:D was going to be my guess. The high frequency vibrations through the outside pane to the frame then to the edges of the inside pane

I had faith our architech knew the answer :cool

Guest vclimber

It was the tempered :D

Tempered lite #1 was strong enough to take the hit.

Lite #2 either had a NIC or was pinched and the shock wave from the impact was enough to make it shatter. It doesn't take much to blow a weak or compromised piece of tempered. Heat (SA) was not responsible.

Archived