Silvering / 'Tack Marks' with Ventureshield

Guest TintnPPF

Guest TintnPPF

Hi all,

I've been a window tinter for 5+ years and recently started installed PPF. So far I've done a new Z06 and a Mercedes GLk 350 with good success. However, the person with the 05 vette is somewhat meticulous. We've done the bumper at least 3-4 times over and the hood twice. I've been able to eliminate most of the stretch marks around the headlights on the bumper, but there is something that keeps coming up every time, which looks like where the film tacked up. In those areas it creates a sliver blotch mark that doesn't (appear) to go away — at least after a few days to a week.

We spoke with Xpel (not the maker of the film we're using) and they mentioned the Ventureshield product is known for having the glue smear very easily. The person recommended we try their gel to install the film and it works great, all besides those marks where the film perhaps tacked up. I haven't been able to figure out how to avoid this. I'm curious about the experience of others who are using VentureShield. Thanks!

Those are spots where either you dry squeegeed, pushed too hard stretching, or "hard tacked" the film before you stretched and the adhesive separated. A lot of it is the pattern (I'm assuming you're using Venture) but most of it is the installer. I did a Z4 last week that was one of the worst patterns I've used and it still went down with no flaws. Also just finished up a X6 and Sonata today (both black) with Venture patterns and still had some issues with them but managed to get them down flawlessly. If you've got Venture patterns, you probably have 3M's also, which are better than Venture. Try using those instead. The best is still Xpel and Proform, since winter is over I'm getting back on shortly. If you don't have the money to use the DAP, I'd recommend buying kits from them or another installer that uses them. The pattern is the second most important part of the equation, you are the first and the film is last.

Also if you're just starting out, just do friends and family until you get proficient enough to do sellable installs. Not only will you prevent the 3 and 4 time redo's, people will get a more positive impression of film in general. A lot of dealerships around here won't even talk to me since they had problems with hack jobs. I'd honestly do at least 25 cars before you think about selling. This is NOT a cheap business to get into if you do it the right way. Also, since you've talked to Xpel, if you haven't done it already, invest in their training course.

Archived