Anyone put vinyl on a new car headliner (preformed board)

Guest KDI_CUSTOMS

Guest KDI_CUSTOMS

As title states, I have a customer that wants vinyl on their headliner in a 2005. They want me to do a 3D logo in it also. I have done a ton of these in micro-suede but none in vinyl. Is the top grip clear glue strong enough to hold up the vinyl? Ive been told that vinyl headliners dont hold well and eventually sag. What do people use for these leather headliners I see in streetrods? Any info on this would be great. I want to make sure Im putting out a quality product here!!

Thanks

Tim

Guest sewing_guy

DAP Weldwood HHR Landau Top Adhesive is great for custom headliners or any other panel that you don't want falling or sagging. Just make certain that you let it sit and dry a LOT. I get mine totally dry to the touch, no stick at all to my hand, then use heat to reactivate. otherwise, escaping gas will cause your design to bubble and will ruin the headliner. It is stupid to cut, slit or poke your material to let gas escape when all you have to do is let it sit awhile longer and dry.

Usually the hotrods use real leather (which is heavy, use the right glue). What I prefer to use is Ultraleather. It is very very realistic, very very light, and easy to manipulate as you go around your 3-D design. It's expensive, but you have to pay to play.

Archived