The do's and dont's for flat glass tinting

Guest tintcity

Guest tintcity

Is there a thread on what is safe and what is not for flat glass installations in general? I have a job that consists of 54/91 single pane,tempered,and with a slight factory smoke tint windows.I am concerned with "heat gain".Already suggested R-20 silver but they dont want the mirrored look.

I always thought not to go darker then 20% on non tempered glass because it could retain to much heat in the glass and actually make it break. Unsure if it was true or not....Bill from Sun-x told me that one.

A very general rule for DP:

Max single unit size = 40 sq/ft

Max TSEa = 54

Just remembering these two numbers will keep you on the safe side [40+54].

Beware of partial shading (due to overhangs) and non-standard shapes (arches, half circles, etc.) which carry a higher risk. When encountering those, lower your thresholds 40/54 accordingly. Always discuss the risks with the customer, but don't scare them away from installing film. Let them know you are aware of the industry guidelines and that you intend to follow them.

-Howard

Is there a thread on what is safe and what is not for flat glass installations in general? I have a job that consists of 54/91 single pane,tempered,and with a slight factory smoke tint windows.I am concerned with "heat gain".Already suggested R-20 silver but they dont want the mirrored look.

Single pane and tempered you can black it out and should be fine :shoot1

Guest Darknesswithin

Solargard provides me a safety check list on film to glass apps.

remember reflective films are the safest films because they don't have heat gains like dyed films.. if you want we are close and I'll meet up with you and give you a copy of the FTG check list if you want...

it covers all the basics including Low-e glass, heat gains etc...

Guest scottydosnntkno

three key words highlighted

put whatever you want on it. Hell, spray paint it black, no light getting in no heat right :thumb

Archived