why are the windows hot?

Guest jetcat2003

Guest jetcat2003

Like everyone, I am trying to save on energy bills. I bought Gila "low e" window film and did my son's room first. There are three rooms on that side of the house with the exact same windows, all receiving the same sunlight. After installing the film, his windows are remarkably hooter to the touch on the inside! I talked to a manager at Lowes (where I bought the film) and he assured me this was how it is supposed to be. Is this true? Also, I have been told by several people in the window industry that tinting the windows with the low e solar - gard will help in the winter also. Do you know and can you help me with this? I know I must do the entire house to see the difference in my bills. Am I wasting my time and money (neither of which comes easily anymore : ). Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintjam65
Like everyone, I am trying to save on energy bills. I bought Gila "low e" window film and did my son's room first. There are three rooms on that side of the house with the exact same windows, all receiving the same sunlight. After installing the film, his windows are remarkably hooter to the touch on the inside! I talked to a manager at Lowes (where I bought the film) and he assured me this was how it is supposed to be. Is this true? Also, I have been told by several people in the window industry that tinting the windows with the low e solar - gard will help in the winter also. Do you know and can you help me with this? I know I must do the entire house to see the difference in my bills. Am I wasting my time and money (neither of which comes easily anymore : ). Thanks

You might see 5-15% reduction in cooling costs (depending on compass direction, film type and geo-positioning in Florida. However, LowE in Florida :thumb Can't possibly use the heat enough there to impact electric costs. :thumb

Glass is hotter because the sun's energy is stopped at the glass. The real test to see how well it works is to measure the temp of the floor or carpet where the sun strikes before and after tint is applied. It is best to measure floor surface temp a minimum 20 minutes after film has been put in place. :thumb

After installing the film, his windows are remarkably hooter to the touch on the inside! I talked to a manager at Lowes (where I bought the film) and he assured me this was how it is supposed to be. Is this true?

Basically window film absorbs a portion of the heat and reflects some of the heat. How much of one or the other depends on the film. Plain clear windows don't abosorb any heat so they will not feel warm to the touch(normally). So in short if you put something darker than clear on a window it will feel warmer because it is absorbing heat. :thumb

Guest tintjam65
Plain clear windows don't abosorb any heat

:thumb Clear glass absorbs 9%.

The film spoke of above might absorb 40% (glass and film), give or take. :thumb

Archived