some general help for a beginner

I'v tinted about 6 cars/trucks total and im learning with every vehicle. a few areas I struggle in I hope to get some pointers.

on roll ups I do great up until I have the top half of tint on the window, then when I roll it up to finish the bottom half I struggle with half the tint behind the gasket and half in front and sometimes crease it. right now im in the middle of a 09 malibu and I see the front window gaskets can come out easy but the rear windows will come out up until the quarter window so I left them in and it was pretty difficult. what can I do to make these edges easier? curl the bottom corners up underneath while doing the top half?

second, the rear window, after anchoring I begin to shrink it, at first its simple because the tint dosnt have to shrink much to fit but the farther I go to the top and bottom of the window the harder it gets. I usually am decent but will almost always roll over it and make a crease. I have tried a hardcard and fail quickly every time so I use my hand to smooth it works better for me. iv been watching tons of videos on heat shrinking and I guess I havnt had enough practice. I try to divide the fingers up as much as I can and I am shrinking towards factory edges. I have a 4dr stratus coming up and I hear the back window is hard and people say to put the corners... does that mean lift the corner up out of its anchor position and then give heat?

and third, brows on trucks seem to give me lots of problems. do you let them lay more curved (flatter on the windshield) so theres less shrinking to do or I just suck at shrinking big fingers in that short of a space?

I have been using sun-x carbon film

thanks for all your help, tear the noob apart

Guest Scottsfire
I'v tinted about 6 cars/trucks total and im learning with every vehicle. a few areas I struggle in I hope to get some pointers.

on roll ups I do great up until I have the top half of tint on the window, then when I roll it up to finish the bottom half I struggle with half the tint behind the gasket and half in front and sometimes crease it. right now im in the middle of a 09 malibu and I see the front window gaskets can come out easy but the rear windows will come out up until the quarter window so I left them in and it was pretty difficult. what can I do to make these edges easier? curl the bottom corners up underneath while doing the top half?

second, the rear window, after anchoring I begin to shrink it, at first its simple because the tint dosnt have to shrink much to fit but the farther I go to the top and bottom of the window the harder it gets. I usually am decent but will almost always roll over it and make a crease. I have tried a hardcard and fail quickly every time so I use my hand to smooth it works better for me. iv been watching tons of videos on heat shrinking and I guess I havnt had enough practice. I try to divide the fingers up as much as I can and I am shrinking towards factory edges. I have a 4dr stratus coming up and I hear the back window is hard and people say to put the corners... does that mean lift the corner up out of its anchor position and then give heat?

and third, brows on trucks seem to give me lots of problems. do you let them lay more curved (flatter on the windshield) so theres less shrinking to do or I just suck at shrinking big fingers in that short of a space?

I have been using sun-x carbon film

thanks for all your help, tear the noob apart

The guys that sell Sun X are some awesome guys and will help you out for a long time, BUT unfortunately I was having a lot of rolling up issues with their film. I was having to spend a lot of TIME working out fingers and pushing down edges only to have it pop back up. It was a little aggravating. Then I started using my new brand and was amazed at how good the adhesive was on it. So you may have to swap film like I did....not saying Sun X is a bad product, it just seemed to have issues with mild adhesive layer.

it just seemed to have issues with mild adhesive layer.

ya I just put on the rear rollups 2 nights ago and left all my hardcards with paper towels around them stuffed in the gasket cause little fingers kept popping up

thanks for your insight

Guest youngazntinter

I just did 09 malibu 2days ago. for me it was a cake but about a week ago I had trouble with 07 grand prix.. both has similar type of mouldings..

I've been using Gasket wizard, they're about $100 but it is prolly the best investment I've made. since ur beginner, try to use as many tools as you can.

with Gasket wizard, I don't have to peel half way, I just slide rite behind of gaskets so its very easy.

dont spend $100 on gasket wizards, use the "THE EDGE TRIM & GASKET TOOL " from zola, VERY inexpensive and works everytime I've needed to use it. Edge Trim and Gasket Tool from Zola Distributing also on the newer grand prix's u gotta take out the upper seal to make things much easier on yourself

what would be your procedure on using that tool? set film up then use it to slip behind? or have it in place then slide film behind as you bring it to the window?

also, is spraying and wiping down a rubber gasket enough to prevent contamination if the film touches it or does it need to be taped?

Guest youngazntinter
dont spend $100 on gasket wizards, use the "THE EDGE TRIM & GASKET TOOL " from zola, VERY inexpensive and works everytime I've needed to use it. Edge Trim and Gasket Tool from Zola Distributing also on the newer grand prix's u gotta take out the upper seal to make things much easier on yourself

hellz yah, I pulled the upper seals!lol made my life so much easier

Archived