Might switch to Express Window Films

My guess is that Howard will say that he accelerate tests his films and does not see a significant difference but I will leave that for him to comment on. What I would worry about is two things:

-Why can't the Asian companies just make a film that rejects 99% of the uv rays?

-More important would be the degradation and its affect on the film components. All uv absorbers degrade at varying rates which in time causes other components to break down. That would be my key concern.

And I guess if you had a uv sensitive skin condition, then you would want a film that rejects as much uv as possible. :coffee

Although we do run accelerated weathering tests on all our films, changes in UV transmission are not something that we have ever focused on. We are primarily concerned with criteria that are going to produce warranty claims. In particular we are interested in the comparative color stability and any vulnerability in the adhesives (mounting and/or laminating). The loss of UV rejecting capability does not produce claims, so it's not on our radar.

To the best of my knowledge, no manufacturers have ever actually warranted against the loss of UV rejecting capability over time. Should we be reading something into that? Maybe.

VC is right, the higher the better - but the difference is so small and no longitudinal studies have been done comparing one brand to another post installation. It hardly justifies selecting one vs. another strictly based upon UV. Remember that most UV control applications stem from fading concerns and UV is only 40% of the problem. Hence, if fading is the concern, the difference is only 1.9% of 40% of the problem. There are other important factors to consider (medical applications aside - as those are rather rare.)

In addition:

As far as I know, there are no industry patents in this area (VC - check me). Each manufacturer typically puts a UV package into the mounting adhesive in addition to whatever might already baked into the base poly. Typically, these chemicals are purchased from either Dupont (uvinol) or from BASF. While it's above my pay grade, I suspect that the same chemicals are probably used on both sides of the Pacific.

Asian films and manufacturers may certainly have their technical shortcomings (mainly due to the accessibility to certain raw materials), but I believe that any differences in this particular area are nominal at best.

-Howard

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Howard sent me some Slip Tack, then problem solved!!! no more tacking issues.

they will also send you some of that "blue glue" also, for glueing the matrix.

Slip Tack = No Charge, just ask for it when you order your Express Film

Elmer's Blue School Glue = No Charge, just ask for it when you order your Express Film

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno
damn I need to start asking for more free stuff and not ordering 4 bottles of slip tack from the site :asshat:

I wonder if I'll have problems using Non Ultra Joy, its what I always use.

now that its warming up you should be fine, but in the colder months you might get some fingers that don't want to stay down with it. just use a lighter slip than you would with other films.

Guest Mo Evo

Elmer's Blue School Glue = No Charge, just ask for it when you order your Express Film

-Howard

Howard, I just got in 2 rolls of True Black and didn't think to ask for the slip tack or Elmers glue. If I call the Placentia location, will they ship it to me? Also, is the slip tack a concentrate, where you add a bit to water? Or do you use it straight? I start using the film tomorrow and have a small bottle of slip tack, so I need to know very soon.

Guest scottydosnntkno

-Howard

Howard, I just got in 2 rolls of True Black and didn't think to ask for the slip tack or Elmers glue. If I call the Placentia location, will they ship it to me? Also, is the slip tack a concentrate, where you add a bit to water? Or do you use it straight? I start using the film tomorrow and have a small bottle of slip tack, so I need to know very soon.

its a concentrate, use it just like joy/J&J, etc. I know its not very helpful, but I put 2.5 seconds of a squirt worth into a spray bottle :dunno

Guest Mo Evo

-Howard

its a concentrate, use it just like joy/J&J, etc. I know its not very helpful, but I put 2.5 seconds of a squirt worth into a spray bottle :dunno

Thank you, thank you very much!

Archived