3M on race cars

Does anybody know what 3M film is used on NASCAR race cars? I did some work last week and the guy had 5 of them in his shop. One of them was fresh off the track and had some damage on the front end. There was a piece of torn metal being held on by film. I started looking at it and noticed it was much smoother and seemed to be a little thinner than the normal 3M. There was no orange peel in it. Would this be the Canadian film I've heard about? Also heard a rumor that it was supposed to have been released here.....so far that hasn't happened.

Guest untouchable

I would agree. Its not nascar but in all the challenge racing ( Ferrari Porsche ect ) every one uses different people to do the PPF. So it may be another product. Like you said venture has been in the racing seen for a long time.

It was one of Elliot Sadler's cars from a few years ago so it's whoever was working with Evernham. I just figured with was 3M due to their contingency program.

Tinitman- Where did they put the tape on the Indy cars? I saw an F1 car and they only had it on the leading edges. To me it makes more sense if they would wrap the entire car. I had an Indy car pretty much explode into a million pieces in front of me at Watkins Glen a few years ago. The first thing that popped into my head was if the car was wrapped, the carbon pieces wouldn't go flying everywhere.

Guest scottydosnntkno
It was one of Elliot Sadler's cars from a few years ago so it's whoever was working with Evernham. I just figured with was 3M due to their contingency program.

Tinitman- Where did they put the tape on the Indy cars? I saw an F1 car and they only had it on the leading edges. To me it makes more sense if they would wrap the entire car. I had an Indy car pretty much explode into a million pieces in front of me at Watkins Glen a few years ago. The first thing that popped into my head was if the car was wrapped, the carbon pieces wouldn't go flying everywhere.

I'm sure weight is an issue for them too. Wrapping the whole car could easily add 30+ pounds, if not more

If they found a crack, they taped it. Mind you I have not touched an Indy car in 12 years so I suspect things have changed.

You're a genius! I helped build a land speed record truck over the winter and we could film up all the seams! It just crushed the current record for the class (2WD, <2.0L, mini truck) by 4MPH down at Maxton last week. It's going to Bonneville in the fall. I wouldn't doubt if taping it picked up a mile an hour.

Here's the truck. It started out as an old rusted out POS and turned into this in less than 6 months. I even tinted the windows!

620cpt1.jpg

Archived