PPF on Fresh Paint

Guest mobiler

Guest mobiler

I did a ppf on a hood from a dealership bodyshop. It was just painted in the morning then I installed the film just after lunch. The car looked fine after I installed it. Next day I get a nasty email from the new car dealer saying we left water under the ppf, acused me of not removing enough moisture from under the film? It was all bubbled up and had to be removed and replaced at my cost. I questioned the bodyshop manager if we applied the ppf too soon after it was painted. The guy says the paint was baked and there was no way there were any solvents left to bubble up the film. Again I was acused of not removing enough moisture. Honestly, my installation proceedure is solid. I've installed hundreds of these hoods and never a problem with bubbling, ever.

I called a few other bodyshops in the area. Some say they wait 48 to 72 hours and some say they have the ppf installed right out of the oven with no problems.

Is there a rule of thumb here? How long should the paint rest before applying ppf? Anyone have a similar experience? HELP!!!!!

30 years in the game. Dealership Body shop???? I can tell you that the best painters in the A/B/R game do not work in Dealership Bodyshops....Baked paint jobs mean nothing unless the painter knows how to mix hardener to his paint correctly.And you have done hundends of hoods. What type of cars does this dealer sell?

Depending on the type of paint, clear, and bake process will determin when they can be applied. Some clears take about 72hrs to cure properly even when baked. If they were to use a rapid clear you can apply the same day, if not then I wouldn't cover that much area for a few days. It can take up to 60days for all of the solvents to come out, self etch primer is the worst one. If used too heavy it will push a lot of solvents out and bubble any type of decal. We usually put decals on the same day or next and have no problems. Have them check with the paint rep and see what they would recomend for the timeline to apply decals would be, every paint system is different.

I work in a collision repair center!

Guest tint51
I've always heard and read on here a few times to wait 30 days no matter what :thumb

U know .. I hear the same.. I think 24hrs and install PPF is crazy.. I would wait at least 72hrs.. I paint and think.. it is right each paint brand is different..

I can paint and buff within hr with the right clear...and baking..

depends on the type of paint and prep. PPG or dupont it can be between 72 hours and 30 days.....prep is the key with any paint job or clear bra, window tint install.

The body shop prep and painters and the estimator need to know a bra will be re- installed after paint and to use adhesion promoter on the areas the the bra will be applied....thay cant cut corners.

Piss coat dont fly........... :lol

:spit

This is a double edged sword. You should wait, but the shop wants the car out ASAP. By telling them to wait, you risk either them delivering the car and the customer forgetting about the film or they keep calling until they find someone who will do it right now. I usually tell them if it's been double baked, then I'll install and THEY are liable for any issues with the paint. It's either that or lose the job. I have a moron around here that would install on wet paint.....he even installed film on a car in a body shop WITH OUT CLEANING IT!!!

The textbook answer is to check with the paint manufacturer for the curing time. However, those of us in the real world don't have time to do that, nor do we want to lose a job by waiting 30 days. We usually give it the "sniff test." Put your nose right up to the paint. If you can still smell the chemicals, it isn't ready yet!

Archived