Problems with True black film

Today I never been so frustrated trying to tint a rear window on a 2003 ford focus hatchback. I successfully shrunk the film and did a wet test and everything was laying perfectly flat. Then after I cut the film to fit the window, the film started to curl, what the hell?? So I went on and tried to apply the film anyways because I didn't think it would be a problem and the film will not STICK along most of the edges. And when it does stick, it doesn't look even at all. The film keep popping out no matter how hard I squeegee it out. I even use some heat but it didn't work. Does anyone know what causes these to happen? I don't know if the film was not shrunk correctly or because of the film's adhesive. Someone please tell me what the problem is. look at these 2 picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True black does not like any kind of dot matrix perimeter it's gonna take some getting used to for sure.. You'll get the hang of it and learn the Characteristics of the film.. It's hard switching to a different film overall it's not a bad product.

Guest scottydosnntkno

well, the first issue is that its FORD dots, on a 03. Theres your problem.

TB needs to be pretty dry in order to stick to the dots on any older style ford. Just give the glass a LOT of heat, and move on to the door windows, then come back when its dry and push it down, itll stick no problem :thumb

are you using slip tack?

slip tack will solve it , and sometimes I do a quick scrub on the matrix border using a small piece of 000-0000 steel wool, just make sure you wipe the black off with a paper towel when done,... but as super poster said. "you using slip tack"

from my exp. slip tack will resolve alot of problems, I would recommend using it in summer and winter, and I found that if you need more slip then u can add a drop or two of dishsoap woth the slip tack, but I do that if its really humid and the slip tack solution "tacks" and dont slip.

also classictints " True black does not like any kind of dot matrix perimeter it's gonna take some getting used to for sure.. You'll get the hang of it and learn the Characteristics of the film.. It's hard switching to a different film overall it's not a bad product. " is right on the money, ... you will get used to TB "personality"

Guest djtekk707

I have this happen a few times, get your heat gun and Heat it up from the inside, but be very careful not to damage anything! Trust me sit down with just a little heat! :phone

That right there is why I stopped using it. It is exhausting to try and work this film down on windows like that. That car is 35min maybe 45 tops. You shouldnt have to spend an additional 35min heating and pressing...

ANNNND slip tack is horrible to wipe off. When it gets on the felt strip on the seal it will forever smudge the window up. Had comebacks from that.

I put a fair amount of TB on. I just couldnt get into it. Its very inexpensive, but not for me. I couldnt shrink it as fast or get it to shrink nice on heavy curved windows.. never got into the color or any bit of it. I noticed the darkness to vary in blotches throughout the window at an angle. TB 20 is definately blue against factory and the 15 is darker than any factory. The 35 looks like 45.

I will say this though, Howard is a phenomenal businessman and customer service is 110%.

Guest scottydosnntkno
I put a fair amount of TB on. I just couldnt get into it. Its very inexpensive, but not for me. I couldnt shrink it as fast or get it to shrink nice on heavy curved windows.. never got into the color or any bit of it. I noticed the darkness to vary in blotches throughout the window at an angle. TB 20 is definately blue against factory and the 15 is darker than any factory. The 35 looks like 45.

I will say this though, Howard is a phenomenal businessman and customer service is 110%.

I've never seen any of those issues :gasp

I've never had an issue with the slip tack residue either. I love how when the door panels are wet and its all streaky going down it, you don't even have to wipe it and once it dries it leaves no residue whatsoever, so theres no lines like with joy/J&J

Archived