Problems with True black film

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I put a fair amount of TB on. I just couldnt get into it. Its very inexpensive, but not for me. I couldnt shrink it as fast or get it to shrink nice on heavy curved windows.. never got into the color or any bit of it. I noticed the darkness to vary in blotches throughout the window at an angle. TB 20 is definately blue against factory and the 15 is darker than any factory. The 35 looks like 45.

I will say this though, Howard is a phenomenal businessman and customer service is 110%.

I use true black every day I'm into the color the shrinkability and the way it handles. I don't think you could One piece a new vette with it. Has anyone tried a vette back window with true black?

I put a fair amount of TB on. I just couldnt get into it. Its very inexpensive, but not for me. I couldnt shrink it as fast or get it to shrink nice on heavy curved windows.. never got into the color or any bit of it. I noticed the darkness to vary in blotches throughout the window at an angle. TB 20 is definately blue against factory and the 15 is darker than any factory. The 35 looks like 45.

I will say this though, Howard is a phenomenal businessman and customer service is 110%.

I've never seen any of those issues :twocents

I've never had an issue with the slip tack residue either. I love how when the door panels are wet and its all streaky going down it, you don't even have to wipe it and once it dries it leaves no residue whatsoever, so theres no lines like with joy/J&J

Id like to see you one piece a beetle with TB.. Im sure youve had some challenges. A while ago we argued about gluing the matrix and you insisted that there was no way it would dry drop. Well theres no way this film will dry drop and it will look like balls if you dont glue it. Not with thinner films. The classic charcoal is similar to what I work with, but still refuses to lay nice on matrix.

Guest scottydosnntkno

I use true black every day I'm into the color the shrinkability and the way it handles. I don't think you could One piece a new vette with it. Has anyone tried a vette back window with true black?

I've got one booked next sat, so I hope so :twocents

[/quote

I noticed the haziness from the beginning.. heres a couple pics from my crappy iphone camera.. its obviously more apparent in the 5% True Black

1zykhed.jpg

6zlhqu.jpg

Guest scottydosnntkno

is the car under fluorescent lights in those pics? I've never seen anything like that with any of the TB I've used, and I have it on my personal car and don't see it?

is the car under fluorescent lights in those pics? I've never seen anything like that with any of the TB I've used, and I have it on my personal car and don't see it?

I thought it was the flourescent lighting also but its apparent outside as well.. some rolls are worse than others. I have the EWF Ceramic on my car

I have asked around and investigated TB too, even tried a roll on some cars. I'm pretty sure I know who makes the film - Korean company is my guess. I really like the way it goes on and the clean application as long as I use the "slip tack" that is supplied. Feeds through the plotter amazingly without the static buildup of other films.

Inconsistent in color is a VERY BIG concern for me as is evident in the Classictint pictures above. Another issue that worries me is the complaint that the adhesive is not as strong as it should be.

I love Howard and his customer service. I wish everyone played by those rules. And I'm sure that not all the TB has these issues. I just am not sure if it is worth risking my customer base and reputation on a film that has or might have those problems.

One thing for sure... there is a lot of "cr*p" out there. With so many Korean makers coming over here and trying to change the industry I believe the big guys will ultimately lower their prices and restructure to stay alive. That may not be a bad thing for us. I for one would love to see some of the big boys get humbled and get out of the business of selling directly to our customers (I.e. dealerships)

Every manufacture seems to bash every other manufacture in this industry so one has to be very careful when selecting film and putting one's reputation on the line. For every "Hater" their is a "lover" of some brand or maker of film. :spit Now ASWF has entered the marketplace to try to take their share of the pie and hiring former employees of other makers.

Sheesh! Make it all stop! :moa

I am NOT bashing Howard or his products, only sharing what I heard. Take it for what it's worth. :lol2

At the end of the day, when it comes to TB I feel like the character Fox Mulder on the X Files... "I Want To Believe"

(edited for SPELLING)

Hi Wetint:

That was a great post. I know you expect me to shoot straight, so here goes:

I know exactly what you are talking about on the uneven color deposition. It's most apparent on the darkest VLT (5%). For the time being, we have been advising customers not to apply it to large flat glass windows for glare control.

It came to our attention during the fall of last year. The factory is aware and we have seen a steady improvement in that over each subsequent production run. We will receive another shipment in May and the advance lab samples I have seen are the best yet.

Industry tolerances are +/- 3% accross the web. We won't get off their back until they hit that mark consistantely. As with anything else, with experience comes proficcency. These chip-dyed films are comming into their own and I think TB validates the viability of this type of construction.

The total number of claims filed for this problem to date: 2

On the adhesive issue: The coat weight was increased last year in response to the feedback we got from some of our customers. If the factory puts any more adhesive on the film, it will start to distort the optics. One of the many selling points of the film is the clarity and we don't want to compromise that. Slip-Tack (or Film-On) makes a big difference and we offer it for free to our customers for the asking.

We get the same adhesive complaints with films that are made for us by completely different manufacturers. We get emails from dealers that want to switch to EWF because of adhesive problems with their current brands. There is more in play here than just the adhesive on this one particular film, but that's an issue for another thread.

I respect and admire your skepticism "I want to believe". Remember that TB's "sister film" True Smoke has been in the marketplace since 2001 and still has a loyal following. In addition, our QUV Accelerated Weathering System gives us a good idea as to how well the film is built compared to it's peers. While far from perfect, TB holds it's own better than other lines which are much more expensive.

It shrinks well, the color is magnificent and we back it with a 100% total satisfaction guarantee.

Thanks and regards,

Howard

Archived