Suggestions for Boat Tint

Guest Holden

Guest Holden

New to the forum, so I apologize if I'm asking a noob question. Here it goes: What is the best tint for a boat? Some info: I have an 18' runabout with curved tempered glass windows. I want then pretty dark. What is the best film for this job? (are there marine specific films?) Also, can I go ceramic, or should I stick with metallic? Lastly, what can I expect to pay? I'm in San Antonio if anyone has a recommendation as to an installer.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1PEECBARETTA

Consult your nearest tinter for details. Too dark on a boat often doesn't work out well though. especially if you are out at dusk.

Guest Holden
Consult your nearest tinter for details. Too dark on a boat often doesn't work out well though. especially if you are out at dusk.

That's just it. I've called two. 1 said there is a marine specific tint and they didn't have it. And another, Mothers, acted like I was asking a foreign question.

Guest scottydosnntkno

since the glass is tempered, you can just put any plain old automotive film on it. I would recommend a NR film, since it has no metal to corrode if its in a marine environment.

Expect to pay a premium price if you want a good job

That's just it. I've called two. 1 said there is a marine specific tint and they didn't have it. And another, Mothers, acted like I was asking a foreign question.

Dang, I was gonna suggest Mutha's. Try them again and ask for a non-idiot. :spit They do have a good reputation.

since the glass is tempered, you can just put any plain old automotive film on it. I would recommend a NR film, since it has no metal to corrode if its in a marine environment.

Expect to pay a premium price if you want a good job

I completely agree.

The marine environment is very severe. Corrosion precludes the use of metal films. A good 1.5 mil, 2 Ply Color Stable construction is indicated. Choose any VLT that suits your tastes, as long as night visibility/safety is not compromised.

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno
:bingo if its a small boat/very large boat where you either don't look through the windows at night, or if the windows are in the living area(large boat) then I usually do 5%. If you want to see through the windows(fishing boats, speed boats, etc) then I usually do 20 or 35.

thank you guys. gonna call daddy's tint.

Call Sunsational Solutions, and talk to Jeff or Jonathan. They are stand up guys. Im not sure they are in the boat tinting biz, but I am sure they will perform a killer install if they do it.

Archived