Suggestions for Boat Tint

Guest Holden

Guest Holden

New to the forum, so I apologize if I'm asking a noob question. Here it goes: What is the best tint for a boat? Some info: I have an 18' runabout with curved tempered glass windows. I want then pretty dark. What is the best film for this job? (are there marine specific films?) Also, can I go ceramic, or should I stick with metallic? Lastly, what can I expect to pay? I'm in San Antonio if anyone has a recommendation as to an installer.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Holden
Consult your nearest tinter for details. Too dark on a boat often doesn't work out well though. especially if you are out at dusk.

That's just it. I've called two. 1 said there is a marine specific tint and they didn't have it. And another, Mothers, acted like I was asking a foreign question.

Guest scottydosnntkno

since the glass is tempered, you can just put any plain old automotive film on it. I would recommend a NR film, since it has no metal to corrode if its in a marine environment.

Expect to pay a premium price if you want a good job

Consult your nearest tinter for details. Too dark on a boat often doesn't work out well though. especially if you are out at dusk.

That's just it. I've called two. 1 said there is a marine specific tint and they didn't have it. And another, Mothers, acted like I was asking a foreign question.

Dang, I was gonna suggest Mutha's. Try them again and ask for a non-idiot. :spit They do have a good reputation.

since the glass is tempered, you can just put any plain old automotive film on it. I would recommend a NR film, since it has no metal to corrode if its in a marine environment.

Expect to pay a premium price if you want a good job

I completely agree.

The marine environment is very severe. Corrosion precludes the use of metal films. A good 1.5 mil, 2 Ply Color Stable construction is indicated. Choose any VLT that suits your tastes, as long as night visibility/safety is not compromised.

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno
:bingo if its a small boat/very large boat where you either don't look through the windows at night, or if the windows are in the living area(large boat) then I usually do 5%. If you want to see through the windows(fishing boats, speed boats, etc) then I usually do 20 or 35.

Archived