Ticket with exemption

Guest EXTREME

I know I'm from the other side of the world here, but we have similar incidents here too. I look at it this way - if someone is a paraplegic, and has hand controls & a wheelchair lift, this does not stop an able-bodied person from driving the vehicle, nor will they be ticketed if they do. The cop telling him to remove the tint would be like a cop telling you to remove the hand controls! Having to remove tint to drive a car is simply unbelievable!

However, whilst I agree that the cop is maybe over-reacting, maybe there's more to this than we're being told?

Perhaps this car might belong to his father, and his father does have the exemption, but if the car is a 10 year old Honda, with a sewer pipe exhaust, 20 inch wheels, and sitting an inch off the pavement, then no cop is going to believe it's "dad's car" are they?

In Australia (where I'm from) we have a lot of issues with young drivers who are restricted from driving turbos & V8s - yet they all try to get exemptions by saying they need it for towing a trailer, or for work purposes, or their parents don't own any "legal" low-power cars. The things people can do to flaunt the law never cease to amaze me, and you'll find most cops will smell a rat a mile away.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps this car might belong to his father, and his father does have the exemption, but if the car is a 10 year old Honda, with a sewer pipe exhaust, 20 inch wheels, and sitting an inch off the pavement, then no cop is going to believe it's "dad's car" are they?.

My way of thinking is it should not matter what the car looks like what should matter is whose name is the car registered? If the car and tag are registered by the father then that it the way it is and not up to some traffic enforcer.

The tint laws are bogus anyway like the part that allows for law enforcement and K9 to have dark tint. That is total BS. The argument has been made that dark tint is a safety issue saying its not safe to drive because of decreased visibility yet somehow the drivers of undrcover and K9 can somehow do safely what they say the rest of us can't do. It is hyppcritacal at best.

I for one hope this kid wins this case.

First, I have a Mississippi MEDEX and I do not abuse mine--it's my understanding that the MEDEX is registered to the vehicle, the VIN number is on the MEDEX--each vehicle is eligible for one but you have to have one for each vehicle.

BE Safe,

Jimmy

since it says "or regularly travels as passenger" means to me that even your own vehicle could be med exempt if your father rides in it regularly. doesnt mean ud have to remove film everytime your father wasnt in the vehicle. if he had said condition than every vehicle he travels in regularly would need to tinted at a dark VLT.

Where was this info from,  Not anywhere in the statute.

first off the medical exempt has limits as well as your standard tints regulations, I'm not on my PC right now or I would look it up for you, <(I'll do that tonight when I get home)

I don't know what you have on your car but I would say the reason you got a ticket anyway is because the officer thinks he's right.. which he may be.. did he use a light meter on your doors? if not your good to go his complaint won't hold up in court if he did not use the proper device to measure the VLT..

I'll talk about the Florida medical exempt limits for now........

by having a medical exempt in place for your window tint allows you to go darker than the regular state laws , example Fl allows 28% 0n front and 15% in the rear... the medical exempt only allows you to have NO DARKER than 20% on front doors and 70% on the front windshield , the rear remains at 15% and is Not allowed to be darker. all this info is in your state statue on the particular law, if not you'll have to consult the DOT and they will show you that statue!,,, again I'll look this up tonight for you..

so that's

70% front windshield
20% front doors
15% rear doors & rear glass

the problem is tinters are abusing the privileges by installing limo tint on a car with the medical exempt which is Very Illegal almost everywhere!! with the exception of a few states ,,, I promise if you dig deep enough you will find the fine print about this tint law and Yes every state has it written in the statue..

here's Ga laws on medical exempt http://www.georgia.gov/00/channel_modified...7400795,00.html

here's Pa laws on medical exempt http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/exemption.html

Whenever looking for fine grain details in a law be sure to consult the "annotated code".

Any attorney, law library, or University  will have access. The annotated code gives you some details not in the actual code.

Also can look up case law to how others have argued.

https://www.lexisnexis.com (needs login)

Correct. I have a medical exemption and if I wanted to I could put triple limo on my windshield. Now of course that would get me profiled and pulled over, but anytime ive EVER shown a LEO my exemption they just tell me to have a nice day. If your father was in his own car or any car that's registered to him, that exemption is like an umbrella and covers all cars registered to the exemption holder. If the car isn't registered to him, you may have some issues.

Archived