Defroster glare solution?

Guest sunscream

Guest sunscream

Hi guys,

Not a tinter, but a consumer and wasn't sure where to put this, but I was wondering. I had a 2010 3-series sedan tinted and get that defroster glare off the rearview like everyone else. My question would be, what if I sanded the lines down with 0000 steel wool? Would it make a marked improvement on the glare? Would it be safe to use steel wool on that? How hard would that be to do?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sunscream

Yea, I'm talking about the refraction of light off the defrosters made more evident by tint.

My tint guy said he'd take off and put back on no charge if I wanted. Just wondering about the wool since I've heard the new defrosters on BMW's are thick which I guess explains those thin air pockets around each of the defrosters.

Right now, the glare is pretty bright. Got them done a month ago.

Defrosters on that car are not thick. Only thing you can do if that bothers you is to scrape off all of you antennas and defogger lines. All you would lose is keyless, AM/FM, and the defogger.

Have to excuse the dirt, but the the tint lays down nice on the bimmers.

DSC03876.jpg

Thick defoggers look more like this

154518d1255300248-window-tint-rear-window-film-does-not-flush-completely-against-rear-deforster-antenn-img_6047.jpg

Guest sunscream

Hm, I'll have to go check it after work. What I don't get is why some beemers don't have this issue (pretty much has no headlight refraction) yet others do.

Must be a combination of thickness of film and defrosters? I have llumar CTX on mine which I'm guessing is a little thicker than something like Madico (which my friend has)? Maybe I should try an experiment by running some steel wool over them and tinting again.

Hm, I'll have to go check it after work. What I don't get is why some beemers don't have this issue (pretty much has no headlight refraction) yet others do.

Must be a combination of thickness of film and defrosters? I have llumar CTX on mine which I'm guessing is a little thicker than something like Madico (which my friend has)? Maybe I should try an experiment by running some steel wool over them and tinting again.

Probably has to do with thickness and reflection of film, combined with angle of the glass and height in comparison to the car on the road. it's not just BMW cars, but almost anything with a defroster.

Archived