Tinting on exterior of windows?

Guest jetcat2003

Guest jetcat2003

Hello again. It's the "hooter to the touch" guy. After reading all of the posts on my "Why are the windows hot" topic, I am going to have to try to find different options. I am scraping my son's windows as I am worried about the outer pane blowing out. This actually happened with the glass company I used to work for. Is there any such thing as a film I could put on the exterior of the window to stop the heat? Static cling or anything that will work? any way to tint the outside (to stop heat from getting in) AND the inside pane (for use in winter)? Remember, I am in central Florida where even though just a few months ago the temp was in the twenties, it is now 96. Thanks. FYI Vclimber, thanks for the stats on my last topic.

Guest jetcat2003

Just went on Enerlogic site and saw film stuff that they say is safe for double pane windows. Anyone got any good results for this company? Is it the same company as Vista?

Just went on Enerlogic site and saw film stuff that they say is safe for double pane windows. Anyone got any good results for this company? Is it the same company as Vista?

Good stuff, aaaand you would get a glass breakage warranty if you were to pay a window film business to install it for you.

There are also outside weatherable films available that eliminate the risk of glass breakage due to solar absorption and again I would suggest paying a window film business to handle this.

Not trying to be rude but the amount of time you have spent on this project with research, buying low quality product, researching more and planning another installation you could have probably just worked that same amount of time at your job and earned enough to pay for a professional installation with a good warranty that covers not just the film but glass breakage. :hmmm

Not trying to be rude but the amount of time you have spent on this project with research, buying low quality product, researching more and planning another installation you could have probably just worked that same amount of time at your job and earned enough to pay for a professional installation with a good warranty that covers not just the film but glass breakage. :hmmm

Word..... :cool

Guest jetcat2003

Good stuff, aaaand you would get a glass breakage warranty if you were to pay a window film business to install it for you.

There are also outside weatherable films available that eliminate the risk of glass breakage due to solar absorption and again I would suggest paying a window film business to handle this.

You are exactly right. I will definitely have a professional do it. After the fiasco with just trying to do one window, I think I am done with the "weekend warrior" stuff. The reasons I am on this so much is I only have $46 invested and I want to get good input before I go on any further. The 46 dollars is gone. Small loss when compared to what I might have done. However, working more hours at my job was an option that ended a few months ago when I was laid off by the railroad. Not sure how much more "hope and change" I can take! lol Very blessed to have found another job but, I am salary now and took an $11,000 pay cut. It costs me nothing to post and the info is very interesting. Thanks for the input.

Guest jetcat2003
What are the goals you have set in place for a film install, and could you order them based on priority beer.gif

ll

Only have one goal.... to lower my electric bill. Thermostat is on 80 in summer and 68-70 in winter and it is still through the roof. House is still uncomfortable also. I have eight 4 x 4 windows and two 5 x 6'8" sliders. My house is only 1800 sf so every room has at least one window or slider. I am hoping that doing something with these will help. As for "order them based on priority", I am not sure what you mean. Not worried about security or darkening the house. Thanks

Well, Silver 20 (TSER of 79%) is about the most bangin film when it comes down to performance, dual pane safe and lowest cost. Downfall being that its a mirror on both sides.

If only reducing the heat entering your home is an issue and you seem to be on a budget then this would solve the problem. Something tells me you have other goals too, perhaps a natural look with less reflectivity etc..

Well, Silver 20 (TSER of 79%) is about the most bangin film when it comes down to performance, dual pane safe and lowest cost. Downfall being that its a mirror on both sides.

If only reducing the heat entering your home is an issue and you seem to be on a budget then this would solve the problem. Something tells me you have other goals too, perhaps a natural look with less reflectivity etc..

+1

Guest fredstinting
Hello again. It's the "hooter to the touch" guy. After reading all of the posts on my "Why are the windows hot" topic, I am going to have to try to find different options. I am scraping my son's windows as I am worried about the outer pane blowing out. This actually happened with the glass company I used to work for. Is there any such thing as a film I could put on the exterior of the window to stop the heat? Static cling or anything that will work? any way to tint the outside (to stop heat from getting in) AND the inside pane (for use in winter)? Remember, I am in central Florida where even though just a few months ago the temp was in the twenties, it is now 96. Thanks. FYI Vclimber, thanks for the stats on my last topic.

SUNGARD WINDOW FILMS MAKE AN EXTERIOR FILM IT SILVER BUT WILL GIVE A WARRANTY

http://www.sungarddealer.com/fredstinting

Archived