Being on the other End...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
150 s.f.......? Dude ..you need to spend MORE time in the architectural/construction field.....Its a deck... Figure more like 18 - 25 PSF.

Word - a 10 x 10 deck, 100 Sq feet = $15,000 bux.....where do I sign sir? :lol2

:gay

not one you'd want to stand on anyway :spit

:lol2

Guest Lee

Yup that sound about right for what my old company would charge. I didn't handle the billing on it, I just drew the plans and stamped them, send them to the supers.

maybe we were just :lol our clients, and thats why the owner is in jail....

Those "customers" should be thrown in the looney bin.

10' x 10' @ $150 sqf = $15,000

10' x 10' @ $15 sqf = $1,500 (about right in a semi-competitive market these days)

You mean to tell me there were plural customer(s) that overpaid for a deck by $13,500???? c'mon

Guest tintjam65
I recently had the opportunity to be on the other end of the estimate process this week when I decided to have a new deck built on the back of the house. I almost forgot how important it was to show confidence when bidding on a job. I am a confident person by nature and sometimes forget it doesnt come natural to everyone. The first guy I had come out was a 40s something guy who showed up in a pick-up truck with his company name on it and was very confident when speaking, had some great ideas, and even came out and said his prices are usually higher than most because he believes in quality work and not cutting corners. The next guy I had come out called me 3 times on the way because he got lost (not hard to find our house). And when he got here he showed up in a tiny newer car and had his girlfriend along for the ride and both reeked of cigarettes. When we got around back of the house to show him where we wanted the second story deck, he just walks around nervously, and asked me some questions about what wanted in a very nervous/shaky voice. I asked him if he wanted to take measurements, he said he had to go back in the car to get his tape measure. I told him I would like screws used and not nails and he said "Even on the deck boards?" Um like thats the most important place to put them so you dont get nail pops. Getting one more estimate tomorrow and I cant wait...lol I hope everyone on here goes on an estimate knowledgeable, confident, and professional. The first guy has basically sold me, even though he has the highest price so far. We are selling ourselves people not just the product we are slinging. I have approx an 85% successful sales rate over the past three years(Yes I keep track). Last year I closed 81 out of

104 sales calls. Not bragging, because I am sure that is small potatoes to a lot of people on here but my point is confidence and basically selling yourself to the customer is how it is done.

bingo.gif How I like to think my selling skills are. :spit

CE - just a side point... do you keep tracking of closes according to lead source? Like.... any designers you work with, I'd think your closing rate would be higher then that of cold calls.

I think I'm going to start breaking it down like that.... hopefully give me more insight on what I need to work on to bump up my numbers. biggthumpup.gif

Guest shemsplace

need more time for an estimate? The second guys a bag of douche .... (Raw $ of the sqft of the deck + foundation and support beams + Finish +labor) *1.---(% of markup) = Estimate

Pretty simple to bid decking...then again I have had to much time in the architectural/construction field. A good base cost is $150/sqft

Call the second guy back and tell him you want a multi level deck now, with a trap door and pirate ladder with a moat under neath, and a zip line.

:lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Archived