Major problems with 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback...

Guest Sowelu

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sunlimited
Tough to give you a good reply. Personally thinking, You're already unhappy with the shop, you go back to have everything corrected, than eyef!@# the new job. I'm not saying thats wrong, but am saying you'll find every little problem you can, which is not only difficult for you but for the shop as well. I think its a lose lose situation.. twocents.gif

:idea

realistically, if you can't see it while standing 3-4 ft away from the vehicle, then its not that big of a deal. It sounds like your TRYING to find flaws in the work. Finding more flaws isn't going to make the tint look any better, the more times you r/r it, the worse it will look(as evidenced by the glue on the door).

as for your post...

1. I'm not familiar with your car, but if there is a hard rubber seal on the edge, then there IS no way to get the film under it, short of cutting a little piece out of it. Which, although completely normal and something I do every day, sounds like you would not like it, and probably demand they replace your rubber gasket that noone will ever notice has a small slice out of it :lol2

I wouldn't be cutting any gaskets..... :imok

Look THROUGH the film as close as you'd like, but remember there absolutely will be a spot here and there, absolutely normal, as long as it's not a massive clusterf!#@ .... Good luck

Thanks for all the replies - here's a quick update...

Brought my car in, they retinted all the door windows and the small quarter panel windows (the rear window was fine - thank god since I didn't want them to screw up my rear defroster). For the most part, it's much better and most people wouldn't notice the imperfections throughout. However, I am a bit of a perfectionist, especially with a 3 day old car.

Here's a run down:

- They fixed all the gaps on the 4 main door windows, but there is a very fine tint-less line on each of the small triangle windows. Ironically, these are the only door windows that don't move, so why couldn't they get them perfect? Well, according to the tint guy, there isn't any give to slide the tint under the window rubber. Bullshit.

- Just about every window has faint scratches in the tint (there is a deep short scratch on the driver's side window). Several light scratches going in many directions on every door large window. It looks like the little white rubbery squeegee might be the culprit. Isn't that nice? The tinter is using a device that scratches tint, to smooth out the tint. Either that, or the rag or towel he used to wipe the windows down had sand or something on it.

- I don't mind a bit of tiny debris here and there stuck in the tint - if it's a reasonable amount of tiny dots. But, if you look closely, there is a cluster of debris on one of the windows in the corner. When I asked them about it, they said to bring it back in a month and they'll 'heat it' so that it's less noticeable.

- There was a small bubble that wouldn't come out on the windshield piece, so the tint guy took his little foam smoother thing, and proceeded to push and stretch the tint out in that area where the bubble is. He said, 'look, it's gone', and I said, 'look, you just made the perfectly straight cut bulge out a bit in the middle'. He just looked at me. 30 minutes later, the bubble is back anyway.

- I do not know why they'd cut on the outside of the window, but they accidentally cut into the outer weather stripping on the passenger's side window. It's a small gash, but I noticed it right away. I called them on it, when I wasn't looking they cut away the small sliver that was cut. Wow, magic fix.

- The car had massive drip marks and lines (again) all over the dash, leather seats, doors, and panels. The windows were so messy with water and soap lines that it was distracting to drive home. Messy, careless job with no regard to the owner's pristine new car.

- There is a line of adhesive (about 3 inches wide and very thin) running in the middle to lower part of the driver's side window. When I went to rub it away, I realized that it was adhesive left over from when they removed the first layer of tint. I guess they missed a spot - and it's trapped there forever.

- Here's my favorite part... On the way home I decided to put on my Chill station on Sirius to try and calm my nerves. Well, none of my presets worked, all my navigation preferences were reset, my hands-free bluetooth address-book was wiped out, and my seat memory positions were all removed. My only guess is that they left the ACC switch on too long, and the battery was reset.

These guys are useless - and they are the kind of shop that talks down at the competition in the area, and say that they are the best and that they are perfectionist. The tint guy (typical NYC day laboror that doesn't speak much english - which I wouldn't care about if he was a good tinter) looked annoyed every time I pointed out one of HIS mistakes.

The owners were very accommodating, and tried to make things good, and are still willing to fix whatever I am not happy with, they just suck too bad to go back. They either have no idea how bad their tint guy is, or they are in denial. I am sure their audio and mod work is great (they've been there for 20 years), but their tints suck these days.

I am dreading rolling down the windows (in a couple of days) in horror of what the edges on all for windows will look like, and if any of it will tear as the windows come down. If this is the case, or they are jagged or uneven, I am driving the car right through their showroom window.

All this mess, and it was a $225 job. They were joking around about those $99 tint specials at other shops when I first brought the car there. I pointed out to them today that apparently that's what *I* got. I am thinking about going back there over the weekend, showing them all the issues that are still present, and ask for money back. Like I said, no one else will notice these things, and it looks good when you're not looking for issues, but I am just so pissed that it could be so much better.

I am contemplating going to another place that I found (too late) and have them remove it all (every window), and start over (the right way - but will run me about $350 for removal, and full tint plus front strip). They said that they do a lot of 're-tints' and have 20 years experience, but they don't guarantee the rear defogger if they have to remove the tint and something should happen to it. They said that they don't run into a lot of problems with that, but they cover their ass before hand just in case. They do steam, but they said there is always some residue left that they must scrap off (carefully). I cannot risk ruining my rear-defroster.

Any of you pro's (or happy customers) know any GREAT tint places in Staten Island or Central New Jersey?

:lol2 And you thought the FIRST time you had it done it was a major problem! :imokrollin.gif

realistically, if you can't see it while standing 3-4 ft away from the vehicle, then its not that big of a deal.....

:lol2

What an utterly ludicrous thing to post on a Tinters forum. :imok

I totally agree! I want the customer to look for something wrong! They can get right up on it as far as I'm concerned! To post something like that Scotty shows me that you don't have alot of confidence in your own work and you would have to have them stand back far enough as to not see any of your inexperience at hand! Why not just tell them to stand across the street and see if they can see anything wrong with your work for god sake!!!!!

realistically, if you can't see it while standing 3-4 ft away from the vehicle, then its not that big of a deal.....

:lol2

What an utterly ludicrous thing to post on a Tinters forum. :imok

I agree, im picky as hell with my tint jobs...If I don't like it I immediately rip it and redo it, a tinter knows as soon as it happens if something isn't right..

I use the same system and have never had this problem with this car...even if that's the case you can resize the windows on the cut screen....find another shop to do your tint....ive done several of these exact cars with "NO ISSUES" using that same system and even added graphics, with out any problems

find a better tinter, it doesn't have to be hand cut to be perfect!

Guest scottydosnntkno

:drevil

What an utterly ludicrous thing to post on a Tinters forum. :hmmm

I totally agree! I want the customer to look for something wrong! They can get right up on it as far as I'm concerned! To post something like that Scotty shows me that you don't have alot of confidence in your own work and you would have to have them stand back far enough as to not see any of your inexperience at hand! Why not just tell them to stand across the street and see if they can see anything wrong with your work for god sake!!!!!

Stan posted the exact same thing in a thread a few days ago, so go give him a hard time too :hmmm

Guest maddtinter
Tough to give you a good reply. Personally thinking, You're already unhappy with the shop, you go back to have everything corrected, than eyef!@# the new job. I'm not saying thats wrong, but am saying you'll find every little problem you can, which is not only difficult for you but for the shop as well. I think its a lose lose situation.. :minichuck

:lol

realistically, if you can't see it while standing 3-4 ft away from the vehicle, then its not that big of a deal. It sounds like your TRYING to find flaws in the work. Finding more flaws isn't going to make the tint look any better, the more times you r/r it, the worse it will look(as evidenced by the glue on the door).

as for your post...

1. I'm not familiar with your car, but if there is a hard rubber seal on the edge, then there IS no way to get the film under it, short of cutting a little piece out of it. Which, although completely normal and something I do every day, sounds like you would not like it, and probably demand they replace your rubber gasket that noone will ever notice has a small slice out of it :lol

2. If your looking for them, every window will have a couple very fine scratches in it. Window tint is an extremely delicate product, and it doesn't take much to scratch it. Unless their huge and really noticeable, I'd say let it go.

3. not a whole lot to say, other than go back in a couple days after its dried and see if them pushing it down makes it any better.

4. if it is truly a "bubble" and not a dirt spot, give it 24hrs to dry, and then push it down carefully with your thumb.

5. all hand cut tint is cut on the outside of the window. The gaskets will have a very fine sliver taken off every now and then. Not a big deal

6. This is a touchy point with some customers. From the sounds of it, you're the first one to complain when we leave streak marks. But, especially on the outside, if we were to wipe it down and put fine scratches in the paint, you would surely be the first to complain also. Its a lose lose situation. I personally choose to leave the outside streaks, and tell the customer i'm not wiping it down, but heres a free pass to a local car wash.

7. not a whole lot to say. When its dry, it won't be as noticeable.

8. cars die all the time while being tinted. Leaving the key on for over an hour will drain the battery, and depending on how many fancy electronic gadgets the car has will determine how long it lasts. Sometimes it lasts long enough, often times it doesn't. Its not that hard to reset your radio stations. be glad its not a phateon, which would require a tow to the dealer to be reset.

as for the other place, they don't really "scrape" off the glue. They steam it to soften it, and then scrub it with either a soft plastic scrub pad, or very very fine steel wool(no, don't worry, it WON'T scratch the glass). Theres virtually no chance of the defroster being harmed, assuming they know what they are doing.

I know this is an old thread.But WOW.Everything said here snotty Scotty is ridiculous.Maybe Scooty should get an award for #1 HACKER.

Archived