Tint Removal Problem (at my wits end)

Guest LetterX

Guest LetterX

I've read about several methods for removing window tint (ammonia, steamer, heat gun, etc.), but none of them address the problem I currently have, so I'm hoping some of you professionals on here will be so kind as to give me some expert advice. I purchased a car with window tint that has spent 15 years in the Florida sun, and it's a mess with bubbles all over it. The previous owner tried to remove it, but only managed to remove what he described as a "clear crunchy plastic layer", leaving behind the super-fine tinted layer still glued to the glass (doh!). This delicate layer is so thin, it only comes off in very small strips, no matter what method I try. It's so thin and delicate, I couldn't imagine it peeling off in a piece larger than my fingernail, and when I get a tiny piece off, it literally crumbles to dust when I crunch in between my fingers (probably from all those years in the Florida sun). I spent half an hour removing a section the size of my fist with a razorblade, and it left behind a gluey mess. I thought about trying to sand it off, but I don't want to scratch the glass or destroy the defroster lines on the rear window. This is driving me nuts, since I can barely see out the back window of the car. Has anyone seen this before? Tips, tricks or advice? Thanks very much in advance.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darknesswithin

ok letterX,

your issue is not a big deal,,, you have several options, with all the methods you have read about are exactly what you need to do. one of them will work very well for you..

this is what I would try first.. "the Steamer method" , along with a pink chizler to scrape the film off. the steamer will be very hot while working with it,, just keep those fingures out away of the steam.. lol..

the pink chizler is a "hard plastic card" and would be the best tool (imo) to get the rest of that film and glue off at the same time.. worse case the film comes of and leaves the glue,, but more than likely all of it will come off. , if the glue is still there,, no problem,, use any foaming glass cleaner and white scrubby pads, elbow grease...

the reason I'm suggesting the steamer method is because whats left of the film will not have enough "body" to use the bag method,, nothing to pull on!!

its a shame your not close to me I would be happy to take care of it for you...

sometimes it's hard to really guess what would work for everything related to removal without being there it's all just a guess..

Edited by Darknesswithin

Guest LetterX

Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I probably should have mentioned that I tried using a hot steamer and a heat gun, as well as a garbage bag with ammonia. The hot steam does loosen it, but it was still ripping in very small strips when I even touched it. It's just too fine and delicate, and breaks apart in small pieces with the lightest of touch. If you look at a video like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68yiB8QT4Qw

You can see and hear that the tint is crunchy and can be handled. That crunchy part has separated from the tint and been removed. What's left behind is unbelievably delicate. It's like the wing of a fly or a bumble bee, if you've ever seen one up close (I had a sick childhood :thumb ). It just tears and crumbles. I removed the tint on a different car once using hot steam, and it came off like in that video. I have a feeling I could have removed this tint the same way with the original crunchy layer as one piece if the previous owner didn't separate them. Maybe I'm not explaining this well. I don't know.

I'm thinking of trying to cover it with duct tape, then remove it with hot steam, or something like that. Thanks again for the reply. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Guest 515tinter

all good replies here fellas, just remember its not gonna take 10 mins, its a process of things so just take your time and be patient. the end result will not dissapoint you

Guest LetterX

Man, you guys are great - thanks very much for all the replies and great suggestions. I'll try all these things, and most of all, I'll have a lot of patience with it. In that regard, I'm thinking the most useful substances might be copious amounts of beer and music. :thumb I did find that the glue residue comes off very easily with plain old 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, if you get it before it dries.

Couple of quick questions - If I use the heat gun, which seems to work at least as well as the steamer and is less messy, is there any risk of cracking the glass? Can the heat harm the defroster lines?

Couple of quick questions - If I use the heat gun, which seems to work at least as well as the steamer and is less messy, is there any risk of cracking the glass? Can the heat harm the defroster lines?

Crack? no. Blow up? yes. Tempered glass shatters into a zillion pieces when broken. Too hot here while cool there

makes it unstable. I have seen glass "shudder" a split second before BOOM.

The girl on the video is not doing it right for old film. Steam the film itself, hard and heavy so the steam goes through

the film to soften the glue.

Better yet, find a tint shop that will promise not to scrape it but will try to save the defroster. Can't always be saved.