Tint Removal Problem (at my wits end)

Guest LetterX

Man it sure would be a shame if the neighbors lawn mower kicked up a rock and shattered that back window provided you have glass coverage.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LetterX
Man it sure would be a shame if the neighbors lawn mower kicked up a rock and shattered that back window provided you have glass coverage.

I consider the glass to be destroyed anyway with all that crap on it, and I noticed this morning that the defroster already doesn't work anymore just from what little messing I've done with the tint. I was going to try tracking down the break(s) in the defroster lines once the tint was finally gone and use that "paint on" conductive repair stuff (that is ugly and never works well) to fix it, but instead... Tint removal by Geico... Brilliant, thanks! Now all I have to worry about is the side windows, and they are much easier.

I had to strip a backglass like this last week.....it sucked :lol2 Only way to get it was to keep steaming little sections and pulling off small sections at a time..best to go ahead and pull the rear deck to get more access to the bottom..You'd really be best off taking it to a tinter (although I hate stripping and charge accordingly) or going the geico route :lol2:beer

Guest Darknesswithin

had a strip job today,,, and Guess what,., LOL I believe this is the Same problem you have on your hands.. ..

well here ya go,, full detail with pics and videos ,, hope this helps

I started to pull the film off the driver door and the top layer wanted to seperate from the "color" layer,,, I already knew which method I wanted to use,,, the heck with smelling that nasty "ammonia" stinch emoticon.gif

so I grabbed the steamer and went to town,,, :bat I first pulled the "clear layer" down and let it over hang the door panel and applied steam directly to the "film layer" ,,, worked it a little bit and off it comes ,, "glue and all" .,...

on the rear glass I knew what I was going to have,,, a 1 million piece mess, :imok ,,, no worries I had this beat!! I pulled the "clear layer" down to cover the rear deck for the mess to come :mad ,, this is usually the part where the other guys give up,, :bat

I started in one spot and just worked with it until I had 98% of the "film layer" off the glass using Nothing but the steamer and a "pink chizler" .. this method worked the best this because of the film being so brittle,, it just wanted to come off in a "million pieces" ,, however :thumb it left "all the glue"

:lol ok ,NO worries! I got this alllllllll taken care of,,, Remember the "Clear Layers" ,,, used to catch the mess to come,, hehe ...

I used this "stuff' called "Tuff Stuff" ,( foaming carpet cleaner ),,, sprayed the glue and proceeded to whip it off, "literally", thats all it takes!, Glue is gone ,, I did a "once,twice over" with my soapy solution for the final clean,,

front driver door

102_1976.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr6cfYgnk9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7CJBusnM5c

rear glass from outside

102_1982.jpg

from inside looking out

102_1981.jpg

the fun begins

102_1987.jpg

102_1988.jpg

102_1986.jpg

Look at all that nasty glue :mad I used the "clear layers" from the side doors to catch any mess :lol

102_1990.jpg

102_1991.jpg

102_1993.jpg

102_1994.jpg

102_1989.jpg

All Done with this removal,,, :thumb

102_1995.jpg

oh yeah this process took me about 1 hour,, the hardest part was getting the "film layer" off,, the glue took maybe 3 minutes tops! ,,

Edited by Darknesswithin