Tint Removal Problem (at my wits end)

Guest LetterX

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LetterX

Awesome post! That looks EXACTLY like the situation I have. The car I started this thread about is a 98 Camry, which look EXACTLY like the car in the videos. The bubbling on the back window looks identical as well. Okay, so I'm going to give this another try this weekend with the steamer. The tinted part in the video looks a little tougher than what's left on my windows, maybe because it's been stuck on there without the top layer for so long, but this just might work. Mine might also be a little harder because the previous owner pulled off the clear top layer, and didn't remove the glue under it, so the thin tinted layer left on the window has crap over top of it that has been drying in the Florida sun for I don't know how long (a month, at least). This is really what makes it so hard to see out the window. Anyway, I'm going to give it another try.

Thanks so much for the very useful info. Especially the videos.

Guest Darknesswithin
Awesome post! That looks EXACTLY like the situation I have. The car I started this thread about is a 98 Camry, which look EXACTLY like the car in the videos. The bubbling on the back window looks identical as well. Okay, so I'm going to give this another try this weekend with the steamer. The tinted part in the video looks a little tougher than what's left on my windows, maybe because it's been stuck on there without the top layer for so long, but this just might work. Mine might also be a little harder because the previous owner pulled off the clear top layer, and didn't remove the glue under it, so the thin tinted layer left on the window has crap over top of it that has been drying in the Florida sun for I don't know how long (a month, at least). This is really what makes it so hard to see out the window. Anyway, I'm going to give it another try.

Thanks so much for the very useful info. Especially the videos.

no problem,, :beer glad I can help.... this Camry has been tinted for approximately 8 year's from the shop I was working at today,,

it really don't matter how long the film has been on there,, its going to come off the same :D just aim the steam directly on the film(whats left of it)for a few minutes and start working it up, you should be able to pull off alot at a time on the sides but the rear is going to be a pain in the buttttttt..

so just take your time and don't worry it will come off :beer

oh BTW I see this alot in the state of Fl ,, especially with this brand of film.

got another one next week just like this

Edited by Darknesswithin

Guest LetterX

I just want to say something a little off topic here. I've been on dozens of internet forums over the years with a huge range of topics, and it's very rare that a new user can jump onto a forum, ask a basic question that many of the regulars find obvious, and get such helpful and welcoming replies. They're usually ignored at best, and flamed to hell at worst. I expected the same here, but I gave it a try anyway out of frustration with the tint situation. Glad I did. Great bunch of people here. I'm very impressed. :beer

Too bad newby "flamers" couldn't see these gem posts :fdup

BTW best advice here :

Man it sure would be a shame if the neighbors lawn mower kicked up a rock and shattered that back window provided you have glass coverage.

:krazy

Seriously though, those were good descriptive pics and description :lol2

When I used to do strip downs that were THAT far gone, I used to spray it with soap, trap the soap with a layer of cut black garbage bag , then torch the outside of the glass EVENLY with a modified40000btu hand heater. 2 minutes later after you see the black bag start to boil , you go inside and the film comes off all in tack..all layers . Glue is left behind but no biggy to to scrub that down with a good solvent of choice.

Never popped a back glass that way yet, but can be an expensive lesson if done incorrectly :lol

Guest LetterX
try this

alot of them

00001668.jpg

Rather not, especially with regard to the defroster and FM radio antenna lines on my rear window. There have been some very helpful posts in this thread that will hopefully allow me to get the crap off my windows without using a ton of razorblades.

Guest Darknesswithin

I used very few on the entire removal,, 3 on front driver door because half of it got pulled down dry (without steamer) ,, I got the steamer out after observing what the film started to do (come apart in pieces)

one on each of the other 3 doors.. so thats a total of 6 razor blades used to clean up and remove the glue, I only used a blade to do a once over to make sure all of it came off during the steam bath :welcome

oh just about forgot this ,, Not 1 razor blade touched the rear glass,,,...

looking forward to hearing about your progress,, want to see pics to :thumb